Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by Dawnier

Member Name: Dawnier
Cruise Date: December 2010
Embarkation: Aqaba
Destination: Middle East
See More About: Thomson Celebration Cruise Reviews | Middle East Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Thomson Celebration Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Celebration Deck Plans
First time solo traveller sailing around Red Sea, Egypt
I booked the holiday as I wanted to see Egypt and thought staying on a cruise ship would be safer - it was!!

The room - I was surprised that the bed was a double and the room was very spacious. Loads of storage space, flat screen tele and of course shower room. The only critisim I have is that the shower area was a little tired. However the room was fantastic. I opted for a port hole and was not disappointed with the view that I had.

The dining area. I opted for most of my breakfast and dinners the main restuarant. You would not be disappointed. William (the head waiter) and Chris (appointed waiter) always greeted me and asked if I wanted to be on my own or with people - they always found me lovely people to sit next to and found I was sitting there for about 2 hours - chatting!! I did go into the buffet area one evening and found it very quiet but did opt for my lunches in there and found it sufficient. The free ice creams for every one were fantastic and the outside burgers/chips were great (although i did not try them). The upgrade restuarant I never opted for as I found the standard of food was fantastic.

Celebration package. I had flowers, champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries in my room when I arrived - fantastic. They were there to greet me and the champagne was Moet and in an silver bucket with ice - very welcoming.

Breakfast. They did unfortunately forget but once I rang I to the main reception I had the main reception and waiter come to my room with my order and apologised for the delay. They later rang to see if I wanted anything else.

Reception - fantastic. Very helpful.

Solo breakfasts. I think the main receptionist was called Gemma. She informed us of how the ship works and general information. The best thing was she remembered us.

Staff. ALL staff were very friendly but not gorping or seedy. It felt if you asked for anything they were only too happy to help.

Spa. I had 3 treatment in the spa area and loved every single one of them. Only downside is if you have caught the sun having a massage can hurt a little but they do direct you.

Ladies evening. I think this was only £10 and was fantastic. We had a bottle of champagne and the spa lady showed us their ointments and applied. Only downside was I was covered in oil and had my hair in conditioner - downside was I had to glam up for dinner!

Swimming pool. Not many people were in the swimming pool which was diappointing.

Sunbeds. What is it with the English. There were enough beds for those sunbathing as there are loads of decks. Either that or just sitting by the railings reading a book was just as good.

Excursions. This was where I was worried about but found that I didnt need to be. There was a tour guide, armed guard (just for safety) and sanitisation crew. The tour guide was very informative and if we had any problems he sorted it out! The ship arranged for snacks and drinks enroute plus on full day excursions we had lunch in a 4 star hotel! When you come back from a full day the waiters greet you with their live band and you have sanitisation crew with hot cloths and drinks - you go through the scanner and checked back in on the ship. A few of us ordered some jewellery which arrived alongside the ship. We felt safe as security were aware and kept an eye on everyone - so safe and not over the top.

Other passengers: I found they were so relaxed I made friends with loads of people. People were looking out for each other too - even one lady gave me some of her sun lotion. Others we took turns in taking photos and one offered to lend me some money when I was on a trip to Petra so I could buy a book. So you see everyone was so relaxed but still looking out for eachother it was very comforting.

Captains night. I offered to go with another single passenger who wasnt too keen to go. Unfortunately he stuck to me all evening but soon got the message.

Afternoon Tea: well you can eat and eat and eat. They do mid-afternoon tea with cream cakes etc... if you go into the library/quiet seating area you get a waitress.

Cinema - has fresh hot popcorn waiting outside.

Cabin Stewards - Fantastic job and very helpful.

Dress code: in the main restuarant it is just smart except for the Captains evening. If you didnt want to opt for that then the buffet area you could wear whatever you want - although they do ask that you cover up.

Ship condition. Well it was my first cruise and loved it! I could not grumble about anything and loved it so much I have booked another - albeit with someone else - to get the variety.

I think that was all but as you can see I loved my trip. I will definitely do it again as I didnt opt to do all the excursions as I didnt want to cram it all in plus gives me an opportunity to do the trip again!!

Publication Date: 12/30/10
Read the Middle East ports review by Dawnier
More Thomson Celebration Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Thomson Celebration review Read the next Thomson Celebration review

More Middle East Cruise Reviews