Celebrity Century Cruise Review by coldfingers: Good Cruise, Not The Best

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Western Caribbean Cruises

Good Cruise, Not The Best

Sail Date: December 2010

This was our second cruise, our first one being a Norwegian cruise to the Western Caribbean. I can't say I was disappointed with this cruise, because there was nothing grossly wrong with it. But I can say it wasn't quite as good as our Norwegian cruise.

Embarkation, debarkation, and overall service were all excellent. Everyone was friendly and eager to please you.

The food was plentiful and available almost all the time. There was a dead zone for food from 3-5 where only the poolside grill and the pizza buffet were available, but both offered enough food to keep you from starving. We mostly ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Breakfast had plenty of options from fruit to made-to-order omlettes, to exotic things like English kippers. The pancakes, however, were awful (obviously frozen and reheated). (FYI, the restaurant serves the exact breakfast food that is on the buffet, just less choice. So don't bother.) Lunch offered a huge variety of salads, More sandwiches, pizza, and other foods. The quality on the buffet ranged from good (mostly the made-to-order items) to average buffet food. If you did happen to choose the buffet for dinner, there were lots of fun international foods to try--sushi, Italian, Chinese/Thai/Indian, and continental foods like chicken piccata and roast beef.

The main restaurant had excellent service, beautiful decor, and we never had to wait to be seated. The variety of food was good. We did Celebrity Select dining (where you eat whenever you want) and enjoyed the flexibility. The restaurant had part of the dinner menu the same every day, part changed every day. The quality varied quite a bit. Some things were delicious. Some just Ok. I never felt like I was eating in a top quality restaurant in terms of the taste and quality of food (although it was always beautifully presented), but more like I was being served from a nice wedding buffet. Still, being able to eat whatever looks good to you without worrying about the cost is a very nice thing!

(Just a note, room service was AWFUL. Slow, and they almost always got something from our order wrong or were missing some things altogether--no dressing, no silverware, no side of fruit etc. It took so long to get it there that you didn't dare call for a correction to things. The menu was also kind of limited, but you could order from the restaurant menu during meal times.)

The staterooms were very nice--they looked like a nice hotel, not a tropical explosion inn. The beds were slightly more firm than soft, but the sheets were high quality. Our concierge class balcony room was a good size, constantly kept clean and restocked. We had a nice flat-screen TV although the channels were very lacking, with half of them being onboard advertising and shopping and nearly all the rest news channels. There was plenty of storage--2 closets and 1 cupboard of shelves and drawers. The louge/eat-in area was sufficient to eat room service. The balcony furniture looked worn, but it was functional.

The entertainment was probably the most lacking part of the cruise. Aside from the nightly show, which was average AT BEST (except for the guest comedian, who was EXCELLENT), it seemed there was never anything to do but the pool or the casino. All the "entertainment" they advertised in the daily newsletter was self-promoting like "A class about out our tanzenite collection" or "Learn about fine watches." Who wants to go to classes about things so that you feel pressured to buy them after?? So that part was disappointing.

BUT Overall it was a good cruise. Sleeping in, lounging around, playing some poker, eating in the restaurants at every meal, and lying in the sun are hard to ruin, even with so-so entertainment and a bit of bad weather at the end. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Concierge Class Vista Deck (9) 9217

Were on the 9th floor, portside, aft. It gave us a good view and we were in a perfect location between the 11th deck pool/buffet and the 7th deck restaurant/theater. Plenty of clothes storage (3 closets). Ample bathroom, although we never could get cold water in our sink, only lukewarm. Smallish balcony but served its purpose just fine. Decor was very nice and tasteful, not cheesy, loud tropical. Beds were a bit firm, but the bedding and pillows were wonderful. Being aft was good. It meant a bit more walking to find some of the locales like the pool, but we hardly felt any movement in that part of the ship. We were four rooms from the elevator and I worried it would be noisy, but we never heard anyone coming or going in the halls. We did, however, hear the TV next to us on loud almost all the time, day and late into the night. I think the walls could be thicker. Overall though, great rooms. Definitely way nicer than our Norwegian cruise.

I did the dolphin swim in Jamaica and the Dunns River Falls climb. The Dolphin swim was pretty cool--a once in a lifetime experience. They let you touch, kiss, "dance" with, and even get pulled by the dolphins. It really was awesome. My only complaint about it might be that the whole experience was 100% choreographed and kind of mechanical. You never felt like you were freely interacting with the dolphins. I guess that may be a safety issue--just letting people swim around with loose dolphins may not be safe--but it would have been more fun than the few seconds we got to interact with them on cue. Still, it was amazing to do once and I would recommend it if you've never tried it. (Be aware that the photos and video they take of you in the water are outrageously expensive, like $8 a picture or $50 a video, but you're in the water together so there's no one to take your picture on land. If you plan on having photo/video memories of this, bring some extra money!)

Dunns River Falls was the surprise winner for me in Jamaica. We'd heard from so many people that it was dumb or that it was overrun with tourist traps so neither my husband nor I had any intention of going. But the Dolphin Swim was grouped together with the Dunns River FAlls visit, so I took the shuttle bus there after the dolphin swim. And it turned out being the most fun part of the cruise for me! Falls Guides take you (either in large or small groups) down a path to where the falls meets the sea and then you climb back up the falls to the top. It takes about 45 minutes. You form a human chain with the others in your group to keep anyone from falling, and you step carefully up the cascading falls. The guide stops you at scenic spots to take your picture (he will skillfully carry your camera for you if you're worried about dropping it, or else you should bring a waterproof disposable camera) and then you continue on up the falls. It's pleasantly cool water and it does take a bit of exercise to get up a few sections, but it is really amazing and fun. At the top, there is a village of souvenir huts and food stalls. You may feel a bit bombarded walking from the falls back to your bus, but smile and say no and keep walking, and you'll be OK. Also be aware that you can't leave your stuff in the bus as you may not take the same bus back. Pack light. They do rent lockers for $8(!) or you can carry your stuff in a backpack, but you WILL GET COMPLETELY WET so I don't recommend carrying any stuff with you unless it's all waterproof.

My husband went golfing. He was supposed to do the Cinnamon Hills golf excursion, but not enough people signed up, so they cancelled it. Instead the concierge booked him a tee time at the Sandals Resort golf course. He enjoyed it. It was nearly empty, so he got through 18 holes in about 2 hours. His caddy let him play another 18 afterward (free, just a good tip expected) and even joined him in playing. So he played 36 holes in 4 hours! He said it was a fun course.