Ruby Princess Cruise Review by sugaray

Cruise Date: December 2010
Cabin Category: BB
Cabin Number: C104

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
Ruby Princess not up to expectations
Just returned 12/26. Overall the cruise was beautiful and we had a great time, BUT that was because of what we did and not anything the Ruby crew did. I had been on Carnival on previous cruises and was told princess was "better". Well the service I got on this cruise was far below the service I got on Carnival. Embarkation was easy, walked to stateroom and it was nice, but when I opened the BR door the overwhelming odor of horrible mold almost knocked me out! Had to ask to be cleaned and have shower curtain changed. Noel was our steward, nice enough but certainly not overly attentive to detail or our preferences. We would have to ask him to leave ice (always refreshed several times a day on other cruises and didn't have to ask). Had to ask for robes even though had requested them on our preferences online. Robes old and small, not made for anyone over 5'7". Was my birthday and was told they would do something special......nothing, well that was special.

We were told we ony had the choice of 5:30 pm dinning which is way too early for us. We made dinner that first night and the prime rib was very good, and my dessert souffle was outstanding. We never made it to dinner again. We ate at crown grill twice and it was excellent, but reminded me of how dinner was in the dinning room 20 years ago when I went on my first cruise. food has certainly declined on cruises over time. The buffet was very boring and only average, some food was below average. The service in the buffet dinning room Caribe Cafe was again horrible. Not busy but service was lacking. Servers would walk by see dirty plates that needed removed and they would just keep walking.

The coffee place was again horrible: slow to non existent service, poor quality coffee drinks and never hot, lukewarm only.

International cafe food side was adequate but after 7 days of the same selections it gets a bit boring.

room service was adequate with decent food, but no attention to detail. They would serve you a hot dog but have NO condiments with it at all, even when you would specify.

Vines was nice with 2 excellent servers who kept our glasses full.

Crooners decent service.

Cigar lounge had excellent service by Jack.

Wheelhouse had non existent service, every time we went in there there was 6 or 7 servers and maybe 3 tables of guest and we could not get served. I went up to the bar to get our drinks and still they take their 15%. I think the auto service fee has hurt service on cruises. I tip well for good service, but I detest paying for service I have not received.

Explorers also had non existent service, again lots of servers standing around and we had to again go to the bar for service.

Pizza on deck was good.

They overcharged us $50 for our luggage and told us to get it back from US air, but of course the airline has no record. The front desk person was rude and wouldn't even listen to us. We were flying 1st class and there was no luggage charge from US air. The thing is I had previously discussed this with a young woman at the desk prior to arranging for this service and was assured we would only be charge the $20 /PP fee. Still waiting for someone to contact me to resolve this.

Ports of call beautiful/ too much info onboard about pushing the shopping / felt they only cared about selling jewelry and art / not really about traveling and sailing.

I thought I was sailing for fun and adventure not a shopping mall on the sea / wake up Princess!!!

Publication Date: 12/29/10