Carnival Elation Cruise Review by dcs1969: Not Elated about Elation

Not Elated about Elation

Sail Date: December 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Mobile

Our room was always clean and the cabin staff were exceptional. The bed is pretty hard, but it was comfortable.

Cruise food should be better than it was on the Elation. The food in the dining room was served mostly warm/cold with the exception of the Caesar salad which was served warm/hot. The waiters were pretty poor and did a lot of ignoring of customers. My sister in law had to walk up to the serving area to get a cup of coffee. Our group of 8 was told one night that we couldn't sit at the same table so they put us at two tables that were right next to each other but only a foot apart. Each side got different waiters. My side actually finished our main course before the other side got their orders taken. We did have good service one night with a waiter named Luka. Great Waiter.

The Tiffany dining room where the buffet was also a disappointment. The food choices were limited and the dining room is set up in such an incredibly scattered way that you're always More walking through people to get to the salad area, main dish area, dessert area, grill, and pizzeria, which are scattered here and there with no rhyme or reason. I never once was asked if I wanted a drink while in the Tiffany dining room. The food was mostly cold and there were several times they had put the food out but put out trays in front of it because they weren't ready to serve it yet. This was especially disappointing when we had an excursion that started at 7 and they refused to open the buffet until 6:30 a.m. although the food was already visible and getting cold.

We went to a couple of the passenger based shows. I would suggest the Married Show, it's always quite amusing and one out of the two comedians was pretty good. I was again disappointed by the service in the lounges and bars as we rarely had a waiter come up and we ended up going to the bar several times and bringing stuff back to our seats. It was almost like they didn't want to make money.

I would definitely suggest the Mexican Cuisine Cooking and Tasting in Cozumel at Playa Mia. The chef who gave the cooking lesson was great and it was a small enough group we got to know everyone. Plus the alcohol flowed extremely freely.

The day we disembarked was a complete disappointment. We watched the video the day before and had already cruised a few times so we figured when they said they would start disembarking at 9:00 that it would be close to that time. Needless to say that when the announcement came at 7:20 a.m. that they were disembarking our floor I was a bit disappointed. I know I could have stayed, but it felt like the cruise line was saying "get the heck off the boat and don't let the door hit you on the way out."

A few suggestions for the ship if they ever look at this. Consider putting the temperature on the tv with all the other information such as wind speed/direction/sea level. It's far more helpful to your passengers. Also, when you say the coffee/tea service is available 24 hours please make it available 24 hours. Several times we went down and all of the machines were out.

All in all I had fun despite the ship. My family had a good time playing games in the library and the poor service gave us all something in common to talk about during meals. Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation Interior Riviera

2 closets, one with 4 drawers. Desk with 3 or 4 small drawers although ours were hard to open. Box in corner of room that held the life jackets was a boon to us because we also found spare pillows and blankets in it. Decent sized medicine cabinet. Shampoo and Body Wash in shower dispensers. The shower was strong and had plenty of hot water. TV service claimed to have 3 movie channels but usually only 1 or 2 were working. Wake up calls were available by punching 37 on the phone, but that wasn't listed anywhere in the room. Hallway wasn't very noisy.

We went to Chichen Itza. The bus trip was okay if not a bit annoying because the tour guide spent the entire time trying to sell us stuff. We really enjoyed looking at the Ruins. If you don't like being accosted by people selling their wares this is not the place for you as you will be asked every couple of minutes to buy something.

Read 287 Progreso Reviews