Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by tonetone28

Oasis of the Seas
Member Name: tonetone28
Cruise Date: December 2010
Cabin Category: L

The Oasis, for five days just before Christmas.
Well, just about everything I had heard about the Oasis was true. The ship is spectacular. Central Park was amazing, The Boardwalk was just like being "by the sea" and the Aqua Theater was impressive. We loved the kid-free Solarium area. The Flo-Rider and Zip line were tons of fun.

I didn't get the impression that the ship was full, as there were tons of empty pool chairs available during peak sunning hours.

There was never a problem getting into any of the shows that "required" reservations even though we had none.

I have to say 'Hairspray' was the best production I have ever seen at sea, it was on par with the Broadway production.

The 'Come Fly With Me' and 'Oasis of Dreams' shows were very good, and anyone who has ever seen a Cirque du Soleil production will immediately notice the impact the Cirque productions have had on cruise entertainment. 'Come Fly With Me' could have used more up to date music than the 80's choices they made. The aqua show tried much too hard to be an 'O' of the seas. Despite their faults, I enjoyed both.

We decided to skip the main dining room for the entire cruise. Upon checking the menu each day, we learned that, with the exception of escargot on the Captain's night, everything offered in the main rooms was available in the Windjammer Buffet, plus more.

So here's the BIGGEST FAULT I had with the cruise. Absolutely NOTHING I ate during the entire cruise was HOT. Everything was served VERY warm. Not that I want to burn my mouth with every bite, I would like food to still be hot, when I return to the table. The quality was excellent, the selection was excellent, the presentation was excellent. I always dipped from the bottom of the pan to try and get the warmest food available, knowing the stuff on top would naturally be cooler. But by the time I returned to my table the food was barely warm.

Oh, don't bother with the red velvet cupcakes at the bakery, while they look delicious, they're just red cupcakes with cream cheese icing. Certainly not using a red velvet recipe.

I'm not certain I would sail the Oasis again. RCCL is, and continues to be my favorite cruise line, and I do have an aunt and uncle I would like to take on the Allure, but all in all, even guessing it was half full, it had too many people on board. It's not that it was too big, it wasn't, but unfortunately, with size comes passengers.

So if you enjoy the crowds you find at a big mall, on a busy Saturday afternoon, you won't mind the crowds and throngs of unruly children on board the Oasis. If you avoid the mall on weekends, you'll probably be happier on one of RCCLs smaller ships.

Publication Date: 12/27/10