Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by takeitoutthewater

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by takeitoutthewater
Norwegian Sky
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Pride of Aloha - Hawaii
I would like to stress my dissatisfaction with the Pride of Aloha.

To have to take the time to write this during my Thanksgiving holiday is an inconvenience but someone needs to know that my vacation was suppose to be filled with cherished moments and unforgettable days of excitement and entertainment. What I received from 11/14/2004 thru 11/21/2004 was totally the opposite and truly disappointing from start to finish. Compared to other cruises that I have taken, NCL is over-rated, overpriced and deceptive to their word. The staff is not helpful, courteous nor knowledgeable. The food was hideous and downright tasteless, not to mention.........COLD. Room service is slow as molasses and can't get the order correct. Let's not mention the waiter/waitresses in the dining rooms.

I worked extremely long hours to pay for this trip and to ensure I had ample spending monies. I did my part to ensure that I was prepared to have a wonderful time but NCL didn't do its part.

My Grandmother loved Hawaii and wanted to return as she knew it would probably be the last vacation she would be able to take due to her failing health...she passed away 8/2004 and wasn't able to join us. How do you think she would have felt? Needless to say, this trip was supposed to be a dedication in the memory of my grandmother, which turned out not to be -- so profound. The private ceremony at the Big Island was great and that will always be remembered.

I'm in Customer Service and if my business treated its customers like NCL treats theirs we would be headed toward being out of business or a steady decline in business. I would never recommend NCL to any of my friends/family and you shouldn't either.

Lets get started: The Crew/Staff-------They are unknowledgeable to where things are located and when they are asked for assistance, are told we don't have it to avoid from going to get it. The 1st morning for breakfast, the only things to drink were fruit punch and coffee. I don't drink coffee and don't drink fruit punch with breakfast. I asked for some apple juice and was told they didn't have any. I replied, "You don't have apple juice" and was told, "What you see is all we have." Half way through breakfast, the Maitre'd, Jerrold Agasa passed by and asked how everything was going and I told him about the experience with the apple juice and he went and retrieved apple juice for the entire table and made sure that apple juice was on the deck everyday at breakfast. Jerrold is to be commended for all of his hard work and others should learn from him. He made sure that if he was around that we had what was needed but of course, he couldn't be everywhere.

Most of the time the crew appeared to be sleep walking to say the least or talking amongst themselves. Heaven forbid if you interrupted them. The answer was always "It's over there" or "You'll have to ask someone else." For what I was charged for this trip, I expected to be treated better.

On another occasion, I had a Caesar salad topped with cheese. The cheese was hard as a rock as if it was in the air uncovered.

On another occasion, we ordered room service. Grilled cheese sandwiches that came with potato chips—the chips were stale. This caused me to have to purchase chips once docked from Wal-Mart. Also asked for a pitcher of lemonade with no ice, maybe once I received no ice as ordered. Is the crew incompetent?

I dined at the Palace once; they were so slow I refused to go again. I tried the Crossings and it was worse. Our waiter was Desiree. She claimed she wasn't used to waiting tables and it showed. On this night, I walked out. Nothing was right!

I thought I was getting 24 hours buffet like on Carnival Cruise lines but found out in a hurry not to get hungry between 3:00-5:30 — the deck is closed. I was able to go to the Sports Bar filled with smoke and order or go to my room for room service. This was horrible!

Let's not talk about dirty utensils on several occasions.

The Rooms---The rooms are so small with no room to unpack your suitcases. The drawers that were available are not very accommodating. One night, we had a problem with the door locking once closed. I called for help, which they came, pushed and pulled and slammed until it finally locked. I was advised that security would be up possibly the next morning to check it—they never did.

Neither the TV nor the outlet worked on the dresser the entire trip. Never got fixed.

Our cleaning person, Sally was great. She made sure that whatever we needed, extra pillows, blankets, etc., that we had it. Some of my friends and family did not have such a great experience with their person and this should not have been the case for what we paid.

For the last 4 years, I have cruised with Carnival Cruise Lines and we would always see Norwegian in the waters sailing. We decided that it was a beautiful ship and after weeks of researching, decided that we would try it. To my dismay...........NEVER AGAIN.

Part of the problem with NCL is the fact that it is an American Ship and Americans don't like to work and is full of attitude. At this point I will continue to cruise with the foreigners where I'm guaranteed a fun vacation.

How can you not have a laundry room equipped with an iron, washer and dryer? We deserved better!

Why were the showers smelling like back-up sewage?

My room was below the exercise room so you always were startled by dropping weights. Try being into a deep sleep and being awakened with a boom and the fact of being in so much water. Not a pleasant thought.

Publication Date: 12/01/04