Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Love Boat Dream

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Love Boat Dream
Member Name: Love Boat Dream
Cruise Date: December 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: D2
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Liberty of the Seas
My company had a conference with about 350 people sailing on this ship. I had a less than satisfactory experience on the Vision of the Seas this summer, so RCI wouldn't have been my next choice for a cruise if the meetings weren't on board. And, although I have have been on almost 3 dozen cruises, I had never been on a ship as large as Liberty.

My roommate was a Canadian lady I had met in a company chat group. She was wonderful!

Overall, I was pleased with the Liberty of the Seas. Although she is large, the only times I felt it were in the windjammer and at final disembarkation. Other than that, there were plenty of places to disburse the crowds and plenty of elevators as well.

We stayed overnight at the Marriott by the airport. Our company (USANA) had a day long meeting the day before. (BTW, the swordfish and the mojitos were excellent there!) The Embarkation was ok. We got there about 12:30. It is hard for me to judge because on Princess I go on the elite line and am on board in minutes. For Liberty, there were lines by deck. I think we waited 20-30 minutes to check in. Not bad because we were busy chatting with those around us.

We got on board after 1:00, so our cabin was ready. We had a very nice mid ship balcony. The stewards in our area were all from Jamaica and Costa Rica and they were cheerful and friendly and helpful. We had Wilma from Costa Rica and she was lovely! She even made some towel animals I hadn't seen before (a sphinx and a bat)

We stopped at the spa desk to use our 10% off coupons we had received by emails, but instead, both of us decided on the 10-20-30 deal. Just make sure you book your most expensive treatment last so you get the biggest discount on it.

I was pleasantly surprised because the ship was just lovely! Well cared for and the Promenade is very impressive. Although, the shops carried the same old cruise ship wares.

There were so many little places to hang out that the Promenade never felt crowded. I liked the Cafe Promenade where you can get a bite to eat (all included, except for the special coffee drinks) Very much like the International Cafe on Princess. I didn't try the pizzeria, although I was told it was good. There was also a Ben & Jerry's ($) and some small bars.

The Guest Relations (Purser's) desk always seemed to be well staffed so the lines moved fast.

I didn't use the Shore Excursion desk because I booked my trips online before I left and also there was the option to book trips on the TV. I liked this feature because I could also see my bill on the TV.

The first night, I saw the ice show. It was hard to find Studio B (Ice Rink) and I just stumbled upon it. I was so glad I did because the show was spectacular! Don't miss it!

The ice rink is small and I didn't get a chance to skate later in the trip because it was too crowded.

The flowrider and the rock wall were both extremely popular! And, Johnny Rockets was up on the deck near them. A 50's diner on a cruise ship!

Sea days for me were spent in the Platinum Theater for my company meetings. Very comfortable seats! I spent the afternoon camped out on my balcony with a book.

We had second seating. Our wait staff was Long (from China) and Carlene (from Jamaica) They were EXCELLENT! Sunil, our head waiter was very helpful and pleasant too!

The food was good, but not fantastic. Desserts were very tasty.

We had dinner one night at Portofino's. Staff there was also great. Food was delicious. I had shrimp risotto for an appetizer and the seafood brochette for the main course. Sampler for dessert. All excellent, although, I do like Sabatini's on Princess better.

Windjammer is very big and had lots of stations to disburse the crowds. It was always busy. Unlike Princess, it was not open all of the time.

I didn't spend much time at the pools, but the kids pool was very impressive! So was the whirlpool that jutted out a bit and had a glass roof.

Ports:

Costa Maya: I found out about the Tropicante Restaurant in Mahahual here on Cruise Critic. Steve Uhl is the owner. He is from Texas and he knows how to treat his guests right! His staff was wonderful and not pushy. The food was inexpensive and delicious. We reserved beach loungers in advance and he had them ready for us. Please visit Steve in Costa Maya!

I had a massage on the beach for $20 for an hour and it was heavenly. There were nice shops along the beach, a lot less expensive than the shops by the pier.

Cozumel:

We took the Mexican Cuisine class at Playa Mia. It was a ship excursion and we loved it! Luis, the chef, was knowledgeable and so much fun! After, we got to use the beach and pool at PlayaMia. They also have shops. Note: this excursion took almost the whole time we were in Cozumel so if you want to shop at the pier, do it before you leave for the excursion.

It was windy and the water was rough so all snorkeling for this port was canceled. It was a "red Flag" today so we couldn't swim on the beach either.

Belize:

We did the Lamanai Ruins and New River safari excursion from the ship. Four Stars! We were bused (an hour) to a lovely thatched roof (open sides) restaurant where there were snacks and drinks waiting. Then, we got on open boats (with a small covering) for the 40 minutes high speed ride to Lamanai. We did stop for wildlife sitings. Try not to sit in the back seat of the boat. Very loud and fumes from the engine! The ruins were so interesting and we had a fantastic guide. Be sure to stop in the little shops there for handmade goods, especially those made by the women's cooperative. Upon our return, we had a lovely lunch before we boarded the buses. Again, this took all day so not much time for other shopping or sightseeing.

If you need anything from the "farmacia" I noticed the prices were cheaper in Belize than in Mexico.

Grand Cayman: the port was closed because of high winds so we enjoyed another sea day. I've been there before though and I highly recommend swimming with the stingrays!

I only saw 2 shows in the theater. The last night, I saw "Ever After" which is a new show. It was highly enjoyable! I had no problem finding a seat. the other show was the magician and comedian. Plenty of empty seats. I think that was because there were a lot of passengers whose first language is not English and they may not enjoy this type of entertainment if they don't understand the language that well.

I didn't have much contact with the cruise director or his staff except for playing Bingo one day.

I enjoyed the past passenger party. The champagne tower with the different color champagnes was lovely!

I took a cooking class with Chefmakers (an outside vendor on board) We made "small bites." This cost $99, including wine or beer and I got a bottle of champagne to bring back to my cabin as well. It was fun and informative. Our chef/ instructor, Andrew was informative and accommodating to different needs. We ate what we made (crab cakes, little lamb chops, tuna, salsa on brochette, plaintains wrapped in bacon or zucchini and pastries for dessert) After this, I couldn't eat my dinner! I highly recommend this activity!

Final disembarkation was a long process. And, the taxi line was very very long. The driver wanted to charge us double because we were going to different terminals, but we agreed on paying just $10 more (there were 4 of us) I was at the airport at 11:30.

Publication Date: 12/23/10