Eurodam Cruise Review by MovingForward

Cruise Date: December 2010
Cabin Category: F

Ship Facts: Eurodam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Eurodam Deck Plans
Suffering from Eurodam Withdrawal Syndrome
As I came home from a stressful day of work, I entered into my home to find my bed not made up. No chocolates, and no cheerful towel animal. I dragged myself to the kitchen table to partake of a meal that consisted of Church's chicken and a cup of water. That's right, vacation is over. I'm no longer on the wonderful Eurodam.

I sailed on that lovely dam ship 12/11/2010-12/18/2010. Demographically, I'm probably in the bottom percentile of Holland travelers. 27 years old, male, solo. Despite what many people think, I found people of all ages on the Eurodam. I fortunately didn't encounter any rudeness. Everyone was either nice or nothing. Many people (staff and other passengers) would call me by name as I wondered around the ship. I think the size of the Eurodam suits me perfectly. Not too small that it feels cramped (I dislike crowds), but not so large that the personal touch is lost.

The ship herself is beautiful. I think it was very tastefully decorated. The Christmas decorations were just icing on the cake. The only thing I didn't like was the big pink nipple/jellyfish/chandelier eyesore hanging in the atrium. It was just weird and ugly. But the rest of the ship was elegant and comfortable. It was also very clean. The staff did a great job of keeping things tidy and ship-shape (pun intended). That can't be an easy thing to do with so many people to clean up after.

Stateroom - I had an ocean view stateroom. Nice large window, very comfortable bed. My room stewards were very nice. (warning to ladies or very private people - please use the secondary lock on the door. Otherwise, a service person will knock and come right in. I'm a fully clothed kind of dude so this didn't really bother me much) I would choose this room again. I travel alone so the space seemed perfect for me. I wouldn't like this room as much if I had to share it though. I'm a Texan so plenty of space is important to me. I had room 1010 on the main deck. Very close to the MainStage but I never had a problem with noise. The bathroom only had a shower - no tub. A/C worked as it should.

Food - In the MDR the food was delicious and service great. Tamarind - food and service was excellent! I only went to the Lido one day for lunch. I don't like buffets or crowds and it seemed to be highly populated all the time. But, the lunch was good. I had two fajitas. Very fresh and tender meat. However, the fruit punch was like syrup. Better than tasteless though, you can always add water. I did not go to the Pinnacle grill, or any of the Lido pool venues. In room dining was my favorite for dinner. I love to eat dinner and watch a movie. The burgers on the room service menu was not to my liking. However, ordering room service from the MDR menu is wonderful! In room breakfast was good.

Entertainment & Activities- The comedian was funny. The magician was entertaining. I wish there was more of him. I felt like his act was just a tease. They should give him more nights and more time. The singing and dancing in the mainstage was ok.(especially if you have a few drinks ) I think Piano Man Michael should take the stage a couple of nights. He'll have you rocking and jamming all night! The casino looked fun but I didn't play. I will next time. Art auction was interesting. I went to one Kitchen demonstration (crab cakes) but it felt rushed and not very interesting. The cook couldn't get the stove to turn on so we had to clap (or in my case roll eyes) to a demonstration of raw crab cakes. I was expecting a more Food Network experience. The singing competition in the Queens lounge was fun and sometimes painful to listen to, but over-all entertaining. I think the queen's lounge could use more space.

All the bars had good service. My favorite bar was the Explorer's bar. Valentino was very courteous and made me feel most welcome. It also didn't hurt to have the Adagio string quartet playing in the same area. Very nice.

Explorations cafe had a decent selection of books, chess, nice sitting/sea viewing area, and treats that smelled very good.

Embarkation/Debarkation: Very organized and painless.

People I remember -

Valentino/Explorer's Lounge - Great!

Jason/Cruise Director - Funny!

Jill/Party Planner - Great!

Danielle/Port Expert - Great and Funny

Bobby/Room Steward - Great!

I'm terrible with names, but all of the room stewards, waiters, maitre d, etc. were cheerful, courteous, and went out of their way to ensure I had a pleasant experience.

Half Moon Cay was beautiful and a wonderful way to end this cruise.

Over-all:

I didn't mean to write this much, but the thoughts came flowing. I very much enjoyed the Eurodam and will definitely cruise Holland America again very soon. This was my first cruise and I was not disappointed. See you again soon Eurodam!

Publication Date: 12/23/10