Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Amy Beardsley

Member Name: Amy Beardsley
Cruise Date: October 2004
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+
        Under 3 4.0
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera
Before this, my fiance had been on one cruise and I had never set sail. To be honest, I was a little nervous because I'm kind of antsy and I thought I would get bored on a ship.

I was so wrong. I have never had a better vacation. =) There were a few things that could have been done differently, but I guarantee if I tried to organize my own vacation with this many stops, it would have been a disaster.

Anyway...let's go through it.

Embarkation: The line to get on the ship sucked. But I expected a line...I mean, you're putting 2,000 people on a ship and each person has to be checked in individually. It's not going to be a cakewalk. Once you've cruised with Norwegian, you become a Latitudes member and their line was much faster, (we'll definitely take advantage of that next time.)

Cabin: We were on Deck 5 and had a room with a picture window. It was awesome. There were so many nooks and crannys to store stuff that the teeny room never seemed cluttered. The cleaning staff was on the ball too. I read another review where the guy said there were signs that said not to use your towels. NOT TRUE! The signs only said that if you would like to RE-USE your towel, to fold it a certain way so the staff would know. (You know, one of those water conservation things.)

Dining: Ok, this is the one area where the Star is lacking. If you are prepared to pay the extra $10-$20 to eat in a specialty restaurant - the food will not disappoint. HOWEVER, if you want to eat free...the food is just ok. My fiance was excited because he could eat and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat.....but me...I'm someone who really enjoys food. If I don't love it, I'm not going to eat a whole lot of it. Needless to say, I didn't gain the 5 pounds people say to expect on a cruise. If you do pay extra, I highly recommend Le Bistro..oh my god the food was AMAZING. The fondue? Magnifique!

Entertainment: Fabulous! The magician, the comedian and the amazing dance troupe - they were all wonderful. I was ready to be subjected to some super cheesy stage performances....but they were all very talented. (Although the magician WAS a little cheesy...and for some reason, it seemed wrong to me that he would drag his four year old on stage right about the same time he started hocking his DVD).

Our itinerary was changed due to bad weather in Acapulco. Because of this, we were unable to see Ixtapa - which after reading the reviews here, I'm a little more disappointed about. I really would have liked to have seen that port. But maybe next time. I read another review where the reviewer stated they didn't refund port charges for not stopping in Ixtapa, that's a lie. They did it almost immediately...and don't let his review fool you - contrary to what he says, we did not sail right by Ixtapa on a beautiful day.

AND, the captain was VERY nice and VERY gracious and he apologized about the change in itinerary NUMEROUS times. He kept repeating that the most important thing was our safety and they would not chance us running into bad weather.

I was totally fine with that. =)

Would I sail Norwegian again? Absolutely. Actually, I can't wait!

Publication Date: 12/01/04