Carnival Elation Cruise Review by buellblaster: Not so great on Service.

buellblaster
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Western Caribbean Cruises

Not so great on Service.

Sail Date: December 2010
Embarkation: Mobile

This was my 8th cruise on Carnival, and my 3rd out of Mobile. The last two were on the Holiday. Although the ship was quite an upgrade to the previous ship sailing out of Mobile (Holiday), the service was lacking.On the day of embarkation, my party arrived and I had recently recovered from a broken ankle. I needed to Ice my ankle regularly, so I spoke to my cabin steward and asked that he give me extra ice. (I had a zip lock bag)I just needed a small quantity. He said they on give ice twice a day. Morning and evening. I explained my situation but got nowhere. He again told me twice a day. He did go fill up my bag that one time. I should have called guest services but didn't. That is my fault. Next,for the first day at sea, the room cleaning was fine. The second day,he did not replace the glasses in the cabin. Not only did he not put clean ones out, we had taken one out of the cabin and it wasn't replaced either. The next day he replaced but never again the entire cruise. Never did More they replace the glasses in the bathroom. Then out dining room waiter. The day of embarkation was my friends birthday. This was her first cruise. I had listed this when I booked but nothing special happened. After we ate I mentioned to the waiter that it was her birthday (as they were serving desert) He said, "oh we sing for her tomorrow". Well they were gonna sing anyway "that's amore'". He did come by the next day and sing Happy Birthday, but of course it was a day late and I did have to remind him again. Not one day did he not mess up our food order. If he didn't give the wrong food to the wrong person, we just never got stuff. I never did get tea I ordered one night and the they never refilled the water of two nights. Another guest at our table never got her coffee she ordered with desert. And it just went on and on. Again, I should have went to guest services.

With all that said, I would like to point out a couple of positive things. The ship was very clean. They had a different cruise director than the holiday. (Steve). Gone were those pesky half hour announcements over the intercom. You could actually sleep in. And the announcements they did make were not in the staterooms. The chocolate buffet was a disappointment. No fountain. Sushi was excellent and fresh. Just wasn't open long enough. There were two bands. Both about same style of music. They were both good but did not play long enough. It seems if you want to stay up late, you have to like disco music.

I would like to mention, we did not have great weather, and there was a lack of things to do since the deck was not the main focus. They did need to find some alternative activities inside.

All in all, my friend loved her first cruise and that was the goal of this trip. She is definately hooked so I have a new cruise partner now. (that was the idea!!) Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation Oceanview Main E240

Our cabin was on the very back of the ship. I chose this location so which side we ported on, you could see land. It was very quiet with regard to hallway noise, however, in port they were cleaning or something on the outside of the ship and it was a very loud banging noise. (we needed to get up anyway)There was a pole right in front of our doorway on the hinge side which made it a little tricky to get luggage in and out. However, it was very handy if boat was rocking or you had too much to drink so you could prop yourself up to open the door!! We had plenty of space for two women and one of them a clothes fanatic. My friend made the statement she was very surprised how big the room and the bathroom were. The window is not flat against the ship as on the side and it is set back some in the molding like a deep window frame.

As always, Cozumel is a fun place. It did not disappoint for my friend. Just not enough time there. We first took a taxi into town so she could see what it was like. Then went to Playa Mia and stayed for a few hours on the beach. It was not too sunny, but that was probably a good thing. The area to sue the water toys was a bit small (we took out a kayak) but the water was beautiful. We did not buy a package that included drinks because we were not there very long. We did buy a bucket of beer (5) for $16. That was shared between us. The entrance fee w/o drinks if $14pp.(If you tell your taxi driver you don't have a prepaid excursion, you can get it for this price.Save $2) It was $31pp with drinks. I am not a big drinker, and did not think I would need more than a couple of beers. If we had stayed more than than 3 hours, it might have been worth it. The food that they were serving if you got the package with the buffet dit look good. But beware, the drinks you get with the package are limited to fruity drinks and Sol and XX Echis beer. No corona. In the past, I have snorkelled everytime in Cozumel but not this one. (broken ankle and all)Just didn't have time. We also stopped in Calica, and you can read about that place on other reviews but it really is a gravel pit. Took a taxi into Playa and shopped for the day. Beware, if you eat at one of the resturaunts, be sure to ask if they take CC's first. Also, when you get off the ship at Calica, everyone is standing in line to buy a taxi ticket. If you are a party of two or three, see if there is someone to share a ride with. It is $13 for 1-5, $25 for up to 8. We shared with 3 of sets of two and kept the cost down pp. We also did this is Cozumel. Remember, it is per taxi not per person.

Read 3121 Cozumel Reviews