Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by DonnaMK

Cruise Date: December 2010
Cabin Category: 8E
Entertainment Not Rated

The Bitter and Sweet
Embarkation for the Liberty took longer than we had experienced on other ships, but the personnel were all very friendly and helpful. We went to the Lido deck and enjoyed the buffet with a wide variety of dishes. Our rooms were available at 1:30 and we were happy with the cleanliness and arrangement.

At dinner that first evening we were pleased to meet our table mates and all enjoyed each others company for the rest of the week. Dinner in the dining room exceeded our expectations. Lobster and shrimp for the first formal evening and filet mignon for the second, with a wide variety of other choices.

We chose this cruise because we wanted to get away for some rest, reading and relaxation, since we are full time caregivers for two teenage granddaughters. The first night we went from our late dining straight to our room and went to bed expecting to have a great sleep with the slightly rocking ship. We were awakened at 2 a.m. by extremely loud yelling from the next door cabin, accompanied by banging deck furniture and slamming doors. This continued until 4 a.m. when I finally got dressed and went up to the Lido deck after reporting it to guest services. I asked to be moved to another cabin and they said that none were available. I am almost positive this is not true. They advised me to call them if it continued. By the time I returned the cabin had become quiet. The second night was a repeat. I called quest services and they sent up security who apparently convinced these young men to quiet down. Third night was quiet. The fourth night it was again screaming at the tops of their lungs with furniture in the cabin being banged into the wall. I heard other cabins yelling for them to "knock it off" and finally I heard a commotion out in the passageway. There were 3 security men talking to several young men. As they were talking another passenger from down the hall went by and announced she could not sleep with all the yelling and was going up to the Lido to sleep. They then exited their cabin and it was quiet. One evening early in the cruise I did hear one of the young men say that his bar bill was already $1500.00!

On the last day I went to guest services and said "we have enjoyed everything about this cruise: the food, the room service, our cabin steward, the dining room personnel....all were great, but your security drags down your whole operation. Those idiot should have been escorted off the ship at the second port: St. Thomas because that is what your contract says". He apologized.

Would we sail on Carnival again? The answer is probably yes because we just happened to be unlucky enough to be next to these clowns.

We napped a lot during the daytime which helped. The beds were very comfortable. We enjoyed the provided robes which were needed when we left a chilly Miami. Breakfast buffets were predictable with not enough variety. Lunch buffets were better with Chinese and Burrito stations added to the mix.

Disembarkation was smooth. We enjoyed the stop in St. Thomas where we have friends with whom we enjoyed lunch. I always enjoy the shopping in St. Maarten and did so this time.

All in all a good time and we would both recommend the Liberty.

Publication Date: 12/22/10