Costa Classica Cruise Review by Georgegirl: Treasure of Far East - was it doomed

Georgegirl
Member Since 2010

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Costa Classica Asia Cruises

Treasure of Far East - was it doomed

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Hong Kong

me & my friend sailed on Classica in October for the Treasures Of the Far East. This was the one which was delayed due to the crash. Now i have been back for over a month i thought i would give a review.

Firstly, i thought Costa handled the start of our holiday really well under the circumstances. We were put up in The airport hotle for 2 nights. While at first i was disappointed that we were quite a way from everywhere, at the end of the day they couldnt do much else at short notice for so many passengers. I thought the hotel was nice. Costa also put on the day trip around Hong Kong. Our guide was wonderful & it was lovely trip.

OK, so now onto the ship itself. Yes the ship needed a fair amount of TLC but i wasnt expecting anything more to be honest. Our cabin was fine and did the job for our 2 week holiday.

The food in the buffet, which we only went into about 3 times for lunch was only luke warm & i didnt think there was much choice. However, More we did enjoy the food in the main restaurant.

Due to the fact that we were delayed for 2 days & 2 ports of call were cancelled it meant we got to Singapore and arrived a day later than originally were supposed, therefore we docked in a different port and lost several hours here. I think alot of passengers were angry as they felt that we were spending too much time at sea and when we did eventally arrive in aport it was for a shorter length of time. This was extremely disappointing.

All ports of call were wonderful & we had experiences we wouldnt get anywhere else.

The weather was dreadful, which obviously was beyond costas control. However there was absolutely nothing to do for the days at sea. The main lounge was extremely noisy and the sound carried upstairs. There was no where quiet to go.

My main gripe about costa was the organisation & communication on the ship was horrendous. We had to queue up for so many things and they gave us so little time. For example, we paid our account by cash & queued for ages for this. Costa would be better having facilities where you could go at any time to cut down on queuing. As for the passports we waited 2 1/2 hours on the last day. This was because costa werent ready for customs. Not one Costa member had the decency to come down and explain the situation.

The entertainment was awful. Apart from a Tenor singer who was wonderful the rest was dreadful. There was a juggler who really couldnt juggle.

The crew were all hard working, polite & friendly. They needed more staff in the bars. At one point in the upstairs bar there was 1 girl waiting on everyone at the time when the early sitting had finished and the late sitting were having a pre dinner drink. I dont think the management care about staff or passengers.

As for a memeber saying about whinging poms, can i just say EVERY nationality was Whinging on the ship. I have never experienced anything like it in my life where so many people are complaining.

Overall, it wasnt a bad cruise i guess. It was great for the itinerary. I thought the food was good and met some nice people. The rest really wasnt so good. Less

Read more Costa Classica cruise reviews >>