Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by lzgreen: LOVE Celebrity but not the best for children!

lzgreen
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Western Caribbean Cruises

LOVE Celebrity but not the best for children!

Sail Date: August 2010

Have not been on a Celebrity cruise in a while as my husband and I pick the cruise based more on itinerary (finding it hard to get to new ports after so many Caribbean cruises!). After many years away, we both remembered quickly why it was our favorite line. Even my kids, boys 15 and 11, were impressed from the second we got on board. The decor, service, and food were definitely an upgrade from their previous Princess cruises. My older son never wanted to miss a night in the dining room as their food was so good. On previous cruises, he was happy to hit the buffet, though we can't comment on the buffet at night as we never ate there. For breakfast and lunch it was fantastic.It would be hard for anyone not to find something to eat. The poolside restaurants also had good lunch options. We ate at 2 of the upcharge restaurants and they were quite good, but the food is great in the dining room. We did anytime dining and had very little wait for a table if any.

The bars, More especially the wine and ice bars, were a cut above the rest. Something we had never seen before was a beverage card that included liquor and wine. We bought one, and even though my husband could only get one drink at a time, 5 minutes later he could get a second one for me. Saved us a lot of money even at $50 a day! It also included bottled water which we got every day as we left the ship.

Although we were cruising the Caribbean, I am a shade person. I had no issue at all finding chairs in the shade by the pool. Small pools as usual. Not too many activities which I liked but my kids wanted more. Great music every day. Also spent many days watching the glass blowing on the top deck. Hugely talented artists! Must go see them at least once. At the end of the week they raffle off all their work.

While the kids club was nicely set up, my kids did not rush there as they have in past cruises. Other than that there was not much for them to do on board. They still had fun, but not as much as we did. Excursions worked out pretty well though the vendors in Grand Cayman need nicer buses and boats. We like to snorkel as much as we can and did in almost every port. Rented a car in Cozumel to explore ourselves. Costa Maya is a very small port with little to do, but the snorkeling was great. More is being built there. Roatan was great- MUST go see the monkeys. They let you hold the babies which are adorable. Great photo op.

Forgot to mention the evening entertainment. We don't usually go to the shows, but did several nights on this ship. They were fantastic! Nice mix of entertainment.

Overall, Mom and Dad LOVED it. Kids would want to try Royal Caribbean instead, which we would probably do. Next cruise is NCL in Hawaii and we are a bit concerned.......after Celebrity we are spoiled! Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Deluxe Oceanveiw Stateroom Continental Deck (6)