Viking Legend Cruise Review by tonyphoto: Reached the Top

Reached the Top

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Amsterdam

My wife and I (until I lost her to cancer six years ago) made it to Europe some 8 times over the years. The first trip was pretty much on foot, then by rail, then with friends in their car. We stayed in tiny, cheap hotels and ritzy places (one time when I won the trip in a contest.) Each time we seemed to step up in class.

I really regret that I was not able to share with her my trip (with wonderful, loving friends) on the Viking Legend from Amsterdam to Budapest last August.

I have never known an outfit to be so organized, yet so comfortable. The staff was beyond belief...they were not happy unless they were doing something for us.

The food was superb, selected to reflect the area in which we were cruising at the time and prepared in such a way that you felt it was the absolute best, but not to "gourmet" that you failed to recognize the food. Once again, the staff in the restaurant was friendly, but super efficient.

When it was announced that a More group of buses would leave the ship at 1 pm, they left at exactly that time. Staff members were always within sight in case we needed directions or help (I suspect they had a portable defibrillator in that little red backpack.)

I was having some trouble walking and was using a cane. Special groups they called "leisurely" (a nice word for SLOW) were assembled at each tour spot. The included excursions were excellent and the couple of optional ones were well worth the small extra charge. I never felt left behind or made to feel I was causing a problem with my handicap and I really appreciated that concern on their part.

The only complaint I had was that there was no elevator on this boat.

The tremendous variety of speakers, musicians, glass blowers, cooks, etc. that they offered on the ship most afternoons and/or evening were also excellent.

I could not believe how spacious my cabin was and the sliding glass doors allowed me to photograph many sights and sites without having to shoot through the glass. As a professional photographer, I really appreciated that, too.

I could go on for many pages, but will sum it up this way: I got much more than I expected for my money in every way and will never forget the experience! Less

Read more Viking Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Legend

I had one of the few single cabins on the boat and had room to spare. The sliding glass doors, which I had open much of the time, allowed for fresh air and the sound of the water to enter. The bathroom was the roomiest I have ever seen on any ship, close to twice the size of some I have had to squeeze into. The TV and air conditioning were in top shape. The bed was quite comfortable. I did change out the comforter type bed cover for a normal blanket however. I did not discover until day ten that there was an Internet cable connection in the room...I thought it would be wireless and could not sign on...my mistake. Once I plugged in via cable (the ship desk loaned me one) it worked very well and it was fun listening to my Los Angeles classical music station on the Danube, half way round the world. I never heard a peep from any other passengers, the soundproofing was so good. There was ample storage for my clothes, etc. and room beneath the bed for my luggage. The staff that maintained the room did a wonderful job, even supplying me with extra bottled water for my CPAP breathing machine that I use at night. I have been in smaller hotel rooms!