Viking Legend Cruise Review by tonyphoto

Cruise Date: September 2010
Embarkation: Amsterdam
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: CS
See More About: Viking Legend Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Viking River Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Viking Legend Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Viking Legend Deck Plans
Reached the Top
My wife and I (until I lost her to cancer six years ago) made it to Europe some 8 times over the years. The first trip was pretty much on foot, then by rail, then with friends in their car. We stayed in tiny, cheap hotels and ritzy places (one time when I won the trip in a contest.) Each time we seemed to step up in class.

I really regret that I was not able to share with her my trip (with wonderful, loving friends) on the Viking Legend from Amsterdam to Budapest last August.

I have never known an outfit to be so organized, yet so comfortable. The staff was beyond belief...they were not happy unless they were doing something for us.

The food was superb, selected to reflect the area in which we were cruising at the time and prepared in such a way that you felt it was the absolute best, but not to "gourmet" that you failed to recognize the food. Once again, the staff in the restaurant was friendly, but super efficient.

When it was announced that a group of buses would leave the ship at 1 pm, they left at exactly that time. Staff members were always within sight in case we needed directions or help (I suspect they had a portable defibrillator in that little red backpack.)

I was having some trouble walking and was using a cane. Special groups they called "leisurely" (a nice word for SLOW) were assembled at each tour spot. The included excursions were excellent and the couple of optional ones were well worth the small extra charge. I never felt left behind or made to feel I was causing a problem with my handicap and I really appreciated that concern on their part.

The only complaint I had was that there was no elevator on this boat.

The tremendous variety of speakers, musicians, glass blowers, cooks, etc. that they offered on the ship most afternoons and/or evening were also excellent.

I could not believe how spacious my cabin was and the sliding glass doors allowed me to photograph many sights and sites without having to shoot through the glass. As a professional photographer, I really appreciated that, too.

I could go on for many pages, but will sum it up this way: I got much more than I expected for my money in every way and will never forget the experience!

Publication Date: 12/13/10