“THE GEM IS NO JEWEL”

crusin fools
Member Since 2007
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
My husband and I, after spending 13 fabulous days on the Jewel in April, decided to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary by taking another cruise.So we chose a cruise to the Bahamas on the Gem in November. We were looking forward to a wonderful, relaxing and exciting time on the Gem like we did on the Jewel. Boy were we wrong!! First, the weather didn't cooperate with us. It was cold every day except in the Bahamas. I believe this had a lot to do with the fact that there was not many activities to do on the ship, that didn't cost money.

It started out great since we were upgraded to a mini suite, which was very comfortable and spacious for the 2 of us. However, I noticed that there were no movie channels on the TV. If you wanted to see a movie you had to pay for it. Here began the "nickle and dime". So that was the beginning of the differences from April on the Jewel to November on the Gem.

The main thing that got me on this cruise was the lack of enthusiasm and visibility from the cruise director, Jaime and the hotel director, Filippo. Again perhaps I was spoiled by the visibility of John O'Hara and Ian on the Jewel. Even on the Dawn, you couldn't go one day without running into the Cruise Director John "have a cracker jack good time"..They were everywhere.

Overall, the upper management staff was friendly but very laid back..Our cabin steward Joe was wonderful and very friendly.So was the wait staff.

Some observations I have are.. staff needs to be more organized when handing out tickets to get onto GSC..ship should have had chairs on deck 7 for people to sit on..Boutique should sell larger sizes,magazines and a better selections of paperbacks..If you say there is going to be Disco dancing in the Bliss lounge, you should have Disco dancing in the Bliss lounge...

Food was all right.. not fantastic but to wait 45 minutes for breakfast in the dining room is unacceptable..

We were so happy to bring our folding chairs onto GSC. You cound not get into the lounge chairs unless you crawled into them. They were so close together that you would not have been able to get up...

Even though it was relaxing and a getaway for us, we were very disappointed and at times bored with this cruise... Would we take another cruise in November,with the same itinerary and on the same ship...NO WAY!!! Would we still cruise with NCL, YES but not on this ship

Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Bahamas
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Gem Review
Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Bahamas
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?