Norwegian Star Cruise Review by travelnap

Cruise Date: November 2010
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: IA
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Panama Canal Cruise on the NCL Star
This was my second time on the Star and it was a very good trip for me. I usually travel solo and like my days at sea as much as I the different ports. The Star was remodelled since the first time I sailed on her, some things for the better, and some things I preferred on the old configuration.

The Meet & Greet was very nice with a good turnout of CC members and the NCL Star was well represented by the Captain and the other officers. The staff was very friendly all over the ship, seldom you would walk by someone and they did not say good morning, good evening, etc.

I had been to a few of the ports before so I kind of went on my own for those ports and for the ports that I had not been to I picked up one of the NCL shore excursions, and was satisfied with all of them, even the rain out in Cartegena was interesting, watching the local people deal with the flooded streets while we drove around in the bus.

I am not a MDR person unless its on a cruise line with a fixed dining schedule as I prefer the flexibility offered by the dine when you want option. I did have lunch in the Aqua one day and that was fine. Otherwise I pretty much ate in the Market cafe for meals. The quality of the food in the buffet was better than on other NCL and other cruise lines I sailed with, as everything was fresh, a good variety, and a decent temperature. The curries were excellent and so was the various varieties of fish served, and although on a 15 day cruise you are going to have some dishes repeated, it was not that often that it didn't provide you with a variety of options. Usually on past NCL cruises I would eat in the specialty restaurants a few nights because I would get tired of the buffet, but that did not happen this trip.

Overall it was a very good cruise and I enjoyed the itinerary and canal passage.
Publication Date: 12/09/10