“Panama Canal Cruise on the NCL Star”
Cruise review of Norwegian Star

travelnap Norwegian Star 4 Panama Canal Cruise on the NCL Star
travelnap
Member Since 2010
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating
This was my second time on the Star and it was a very good trip for me. I usually travel solo and like my days at sea as much as I the different ports. The Star was remodelled since the first time I sailed on her, some things for the better, and some things I preferred on the old configuration.

The Meet & Greet was very nice with a good turnout of CC members and the NCL Star was well represented by the Captain and the other officers. The staff was very friendly all over the ship, seldom you would walk by someone and they did not say good morning, good evening, etc.

I had been to a few of the ports before so I kind of went on my own for those ports and for the ports that I had not been to I picked up one of the NCL shore excursions, and was satisfied with all of them, even the rain out in Cartegena was interesting, watching the local people deal with the flooded streets while we drove around in the bus.

I am not a MDR person unless its on a cruise line with a fixed dining schedule as I prefer the flexibility offered by the dine when you want option. I did have lunch in the Aqua one day and that was fine. Otherwise I pretty much ate in the Market cafe for meals. The quality of the food in the buffet was better than on other NCL and other cruise lines I sailed with, as everything was fresh, a good variety, and a decent temperature. The curries were excellent and so was the various varieties of fish served, and although on a 15 day cruise you are going to have some dishes repeated, it was not that often that it didn't provide you with a variety of options. Usually on past NCL cruises I would eat in the specialty restaurants a few nights because I would get tired of the buffet, but that did not happen this trip.

Overall it was a very good cruise and I enjoyed the itinerary and canal passage.
Norwegian Star Cruises to the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Mid-Ship Inside

IA10105
The inside cabins are not large at 142 sq feet but since I was traveling solo I had plenty of room and plenty of closet space. If there had been two of us, then on a 15 day trip the closet space might have been pretty tight. Cabin was in good condition and clean. I usually try for midship cabins as the ride is smoother and easier access to the other parts of the ship.

Port
Again I had been to Acapulco before so I just went on my own, but with the recent violence there I didn't wander around too much.

Read 181 Acapulco Reviews
This was an NCL shore excursion and because of the rain it kept us from seeing everything we were supposed to because of the flooding. It was still an interesting trip though, and NCL refunded us half of the cost of the excursion because of the rain, which was nice of them.

Port
Key West I did on my own, just doing some walk around sightseeing and shopping and I enjoyed the port, although it has been commercialized a lot more than it used to be.
Read 1,115 Key West Reviews
I took an NCL shore excursion to the botanical gardens and although we got rained on pretty good it was a good trip. The gardens are quite nice and located on the top of a mountain so there were some beautiful views even if the road trip there was a little shaky because of the rain.

Published 12/09/10
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Star Review
Norwegian Star Cruises to the Panama Canal & Central America
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?