Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by KCCAKID: Cruising on a Budget

Cruising on a Budget

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This was my 10th cruise and I think the third time to the Mexican Riviera.

We drove from the San Jose Area down to the port in LA. Took about 6 hours..

The parking at the pier was great and I love it when time to leave as it is a pretty quick way to depart.

This trip I took Two Sets of Friends on their First Royal Cruise. They were impressed by the ship.

The embarkation process was smooth and we got on quickly, took the obligatory Photos. First stop was to the dining room to check the table we were at. Top level in the corner.. This I had to get changed. They took care of it and the next night we were sitting at the table behind the Captain. My friends were impressed. So glad I have some Idea of what to do to get problems fixed quickly.

Wish I could have stayed up late the first evening for the Comedy Show as my Friends said it was great, but I went to the room for a cat nap and didn't wake up....

First Port of Call we deiced to More just walk the town. While the locals are working to make a living if you said no they would leave you alone. This was great.. This port is beautiful as the ship can be seen in the bay and the water was a beautiful clear Blue. We actually took one of the local glass bottom boats to see the Cabo Point. Actually a decent tour for the price. But I would not want to have been one of the snorkeling people in the water as the mass of boats with motors around seemed dangerous for the swimmers...

Went to town and saw the Cabo Wabo Bar and then went to the Shrimp Factory for Lunch. I had a great time. Went back to the ship after purchasing the Gifts for friends back home...

Went to Mazatlan the next day and took the Tequila and Leather Crafting Tour.

This small town where they made belts, shoes, and other Leather crafts was so clean. I think San Francisco needs some lessons. First stop was at the belt maker and when the bus heads back you have a custom belt ready to go. This is a little Gem of a Tour Stop if you like seeing local things verses tourist Traps. The Tequila stop was also good as we were able to see them cooking the agave plant and had a taste of it fresh out of the cooker. Sweet like softened Sugar Cane.. This factory Los Osuna was beautiful. They pour as much as you want. The price of the same Tequila is the same at the factory as at the port side Cart set up at the Port Exit. You can't buy this brand in my area wish I had purchased more. PS My Friends bought Machettes and brought them back to the ship. This was fun for Security on the return to the ship.

I have seen the Ice Show on another ship and tried to see it on this ship. You must get there EARLY to see the ice show and get a seat. I do think Royal should do something to fix this problem. If you do not get there early you will not get a seat and I cannot stand for an Hour show...Good show but get a seat.

Next Day was Puerto Vallarta. We just stayed and enjoyed the small shopping just off the ship and then drank beers and Margaritas at the set up on the way to the ship... They also made a lime Peanuts which were good.

Got our sun on the ship on the first day back at sea on the return. Made a quick stop in the Cabo bay for an emergency passenger and then proceeded to LA. Do not wait for the last day as it has been cold on the return trip every time I have made the Trip.

Last comedian had a great start and then went for all the sex Jokes. I laughed but even I think he went beyond reasonable. But the videos that start his act are also great..

Food was good and the service was great. I think it is sad that Royal will not be in this area come January as they remove this ship to Europe and have no replacement planned as I write this. Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 6

First Port of Cabo we decide to just walk the town. While the locals are working to make a living if you said no they would leave you alone. This was great.. This port is beautiful as the ship can be seen in the bay and the water was a beautiful clear Blue. We actually took one of the local glass bottom boats to see the Cabo Point. Actually a decent tour for the price. But I would not want to have been one of the snorkeling people in the water as the mass of boats with motors around seemed dangerous for the swimmers...

Went to Mazatlan the next day and took the Tequila and Leather Crafting Tour.

This small town where they made belts, shoes, and other Leather crafts was so clean. I think San Francisco needs some lessons. First stop was at the belt maker and when the bus heads back you have a custom belt ready to go. This is a little Gem of a Tour Stop if you like seeing local things verses tourist Traps. The Tequila stop was also good as we were able to see them cooking the agave plant and had a taste of it fresh out of the cooker. Sweet like softened Sugar Cane.. This factory Los Osuna was beautiful. They pour as much as you want. The price of the same Tequila is the same at the factory as at the port side Cart set up at the Port Exit. You cant buy this brand in my area wish I had purchase more. PS My Friends bought Machetes and brought them back to the ship. this was fun for Security on the return to the ship

Read 292 Mazatlan Reviews

Next Day was Puerto Vallarta. we just stayed and enjoyed the small shopping just off the ship and then drank beers and Margaritas at the set up on the way to the ship... They also made a lime Peanuts which were good.

I have been to this port in the past and they have some good Tours. The cooking tour, the Tequila Tour, the Zip Lines. All of them seem to take you for about an Hour bus ride to the Jalisco Area. Good tours but I was getting tired and the City is to me like any other big tourist city. But if you have not been there get out and see it. I have and you should also