Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by Hawaiidan

Nieuw Amsterdam
Member Name: Hawaiidan
Cruise Date: October 2010
Cabin Category: J
See More About: Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Nieuw Amsterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Nieuw Amsterdam Deck Plans
A jr. Regent.....seriously outstanding
First I wanted to see how this new huge ship 2000 passengers after beign used to ships of 600 to 700.

Second it was a test of cabins an inside J and a VA veranda for our next year 30 day sailing from europe.

I was totaly suprised and pleased by everything even though the ship was on her maden voyage from Flordia, boarded 5 hours late and has a problem with the neurovirus.

Like everything that could have gone wrong did. Yet inspite of all the difficulty everything was just great...

Boarding was a dream and easy.... not a single problem

The Inside J cabin exceeded my expectations...it was huge, massive and one of the best layouts I have ever seen.... It was far nicer than the Veranda in every respect, bathroom, bed, closets, huge l shaped sofa, just everything excellent and a way better value and way more comfortable than a Veranda which felt tiny and cramped. In the Veranda 2 people could not pass each other in the hall nor could you use the closets or bathroom at the same time... Not so with the beautiful inside....

The ship is very elegant in decore, subtile colors and bloond wood and chrome.

No garish or gaudy colors. It reminded me of the Seven Seas

The layout was, well outstanding. with like a dozen little bars that just ate up the larger passenger loads. Getting around was easy and there were tons of places enjoy. The movie theater is outstanding.

The staff even thought tired from a long crossing and at the end of their contract were excellent in everyway. None had an attitude.. and were both warm and outgoing.

We were following storm Thomas so the first 3 days the sea was setteling down.. nothing harsh and the ship rode very very well. The J cabin on the main deck we experienced almost no abnormal motion. It is a ship and the ocean moves. I am amused at all the people who expect a sea going four season and get sick at the drop of a hat..

The food in the Lido was , well excellent and never did I have to wait...very well laid out and things moved ver well.

The main dining room was huge but service was great and the food was very good.

Tamarand the asian place is in my opinion the best food and service on the ship.

Pinnacles, we found to be just another seagoing steakhouse and to be fair I dont like steaks all that much. Great decore... but average menu and not worth the extra when you can get better variety in the Main dining or lido...really.

Never used room service except to oder liquor and it was prompt and polite.

Shore excursions I found were very well priced and the staff excellent. Excellent variety...I would use the ships tours for value and ease.

Fellow passengers.....I was pleased thet there were not many children as I dont think kids belong on cruises at all.

98% of all the people were polite and quiet.. There were a very small number of complainers... high maint. folks who seemed to have one thing in common all were long time cruisers and in Holland Americas frequent sailing club the Mariners. They seemed to walk around with a chip on their shoulder and their noses in the air. After observing this time and time again, we did not attend any of the special Mariner events and lunches we were invited to.

We learned to avoid those with Mariners pins.

So after 14 days, we saw NO problems, never had a bad meal, had excellent service, felt the ship was a Jr Regent in quality ,decor and scope. All the people we met outside of the the aforementioned elite group , had the same experience as we. I think there is a group that lives to complain as they feel it shows off their superior self.

Will you like the Amsterdam..... that depends on you... I loved it and everything about it this said coming from a Regent penthouse with a butler...

OK..... I cruised Holland America 12 years ago and things have gotten much, much better in my opinion.

Some people see the glass as half empty. Others see it as half full.... I on the other hand am happy to just have a glass.

Publication Date: 12/01/10