Rotterdam Cruise Review by STANCPA44

Cruise Date: October 2010
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: CA
See More About: Rotterdam Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Rotterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Rotterdam Deck Plans
South America
I like the ship, my room and the main areas of the ship was in good shape for most parts, (the carpet was stained in certain sections). I had a Lanai cabin, no problems, a great cabin to be in. If you compare this ship to a new ship, of course it would look outdated, but it is not a rusty old bucket. It is a fine older ship.

The food in the lido for breakfast was great. For dinner, I found the food that I order was well prepared and tasty.

Gourmet restaurant food, no, cruise ship food, yes.

The lamp chops were very good, so was the prime rib.

The only complaint I had that the vegetables were over cooked.

I did encounter the guy that cooked the eggs, several times. Each time he was mean tempered. Never gave him cause to act that way.

The rest of the staff was great, very helpful and friendly.

I was not on any of the ships tours so I will not comment on them.

Entertainment wise, I am hard of hearing, thus I did not go to the main show. I did attend almost nightly to a session of the Adaigo Strings. They were great. The four ladies really made the violins hum.

Disembarking was a pain, we were the last to disembark.

The ship was late in the disembarkation due to some foreign passengers being extremely late for immigration processing. Thankfully, my flight was late, that I had luggage direct and the security line was not long, otherwise I would have missed my flight.

I had booked air thru Holland, it was a 1:00 flight, the bus arrived at the airport at 12:05, took 8 minutes to remove my carryon luggage. There was on woman on the bus who had a 12:30 flight, I wonder if she made it.

This is not the first time but a countless number of times that there is a major delay in disembarkation due to the RUDENESS of foreign passengers not going thru immigration processing on time.

Code Red was a nuisance but these things happen, the staff (except for the egg cook guy) worked hard and made the entire trip pleasant.

It was very enjoyable cruise, met a number of fine people, I would definitely cruise on the Rotterdam again.

Stan