Seabourn Sojourn Cruise Review by Travel South: Sojourn is just another ship.

Travel South
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Seabourn Sojourn Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Sojourn is just another ship.

Sail Date: November 2010

Ok, let me first say that everyone takes a cruise for different reasons.Mine was to relax and relax I did........... I reserved this cruise on a last minute website for about 76% off the rack rate, so the bargain outweighed the disappointments. I traveled with my partner and we chose this itinerary for its 11 days of "no thinking" ports with 4 days at sea. Our "maiden Caribbean cruise" had about 465 people on it. 64% were new to Seabourn.

This was our first trip with Seabourn so we had great expectations based on the great reviews it receives from so many travel sites and publications. We chose a suite without a veranda, as We are rarely in our cabin anyway.The suite was nice with a great walk in closet but cheesy bedding and upholstery. The shower was awkward and leaked all over the floor when used. Rough waves makes the cabin walls and ceiling creak and crack . Our attendant was very nice, but nothing special.

Our first night we decided to have dinner in the more More casual restaurant. Service was haphazard and over zealous. We were rushed through some really terrible food , and left wondering if it was just a bad night.Breakfast the next morning was the usual cruise fare of a decent ship. The next night we tried the main dining room and again were rushed through an over rated, over described menu that was nothing more than bad catered food lacking any real taste but looking pretty on the plate. Ok the next day was our first stop, and I could hardly wait to eat at a local restaurant and get some good food in my system. back to the ship and what to do for dinner? We found the patio grill which actually cooked your entree when you ordered it. This was the only decent food on the ship, and we ate there every chance we could for dinner.

I have to admit that I am lucky to have the options of eating at really great restaurants around the world, so I guess my exposure has made me a little more jaded; but this was truly tasteless food . Restaurant two is by reservation and is a prix-fix tasting menu. I have to admit that based on other guests reviews and my luck in the other venues, we chose not to waste our time. Enough about the food though.

Entertainment...................When you hear someone say that they should be singing on a cruise ship.... Seabourn has found these people. It was actually awkward to watch and listen to most of them. They try hard, but its just elementary.

Bars and Nightclub........... Everyone was great in these venues. personable and accommodating. They were actually fun because the ship had allot of younger people on it. The casino looks like an afterthought to the ship though.

In suite food service ( Food again)........... These guys were great. Followed through on everything, and made the effort to scrounge up fresh things to eat;remembered favorites and followed up afterwards.

Other venues. Seabourn square is a great understated idea with a coffee bar. The only fault we could find is that it was not bussed enough and dirty dishes sat around for a long time. The Library had allot of 2010 publications.

The pools are what they are, and I came home with a nice tan. Hot tubs are in multiple places and were rarely used by guests.

Ok, so I did not like the food, but when you cannot even find a chocolate chip cookie that tastes good then I have to wonder how Hampton Inn did it all these years................The smoking is bad on the ship and allowed in the cabins, so be forewarned. We had a very relaxing trip and walked off the ship 10 pounds lighter so that's ok. The cruise was a bargain so it did not matter to us. If I had payed premium prices though I would have been perturbed to say the least.

My summery is that the Sojourn was a good ship ,but in no way deserves the high numbered star rating that comes with Seabourns smaller ships or other 5.5/6 star rated lines. It just did not meet the details and quality it should. Time will tell how the new ships pan out, but I'm betting there are changes in the future. Less

Read more Seabourn Sojourn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Seabourn Sojourn Review >>

Cabin review: Seabourn Sojourn Seabourn Suite Deck Four 429

No Veranda basic suite. Near the main dining room. Very quiet without people walking by as these cabins are off private hallways. Great walk in closet. Rough waves caused much less rocking at this level. Ceilings and walls make allot of noise in rough seas. All cabins seemed to have this problem on this ship.