“Enjoyed the Celebrity Solstice”
Cruise review of Celebrity Solstice

lisabucsfan1 Celebrity Solstice 5 Enjoyed the Celebrity Solstice
lisabucsfan1
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was my first Celebrity cruise and I have to say I will definitely be back. I did not read any other reviews prior to this trip, so I'm now surprised to go back and read about how much people disliked the food on board the Solstice. I, for one, thought the MDR was quite tasty. I did not try any of the speciality restaurants.

The one complaint in the MDR must be with the bar staff. This gal was overworked with too many tables to attend to. By the 3rd night some of our sailing partners at an adjoining table complained to the MDR host and he verbally addressed her within sight of our tables. After that her attentiveness improved. The sommelier was very attentive each and every night and frequently made good recommendations that we all enjoyed. The only problem was that by the 5th night of a 7 night cruise, they ran out of their house Cabernet & house Chardonnay... most of our group was drinking this regularly as the price was right for the beverage package (premium) that we had all purchased. This was disappointing to say the least, but the other wines were just fine. Service was a little slow at least 3 nights - where we were left waiting for our main course with nothing to eat for more than 15 minutes. For what it's worth, the 15 of us did the first seating at 6pm.

Our cabin was quite lovely, but you can very easily hear what is going on in the cabin next to you as well as out in the main hallways. I was disappointed in this - thank goodness we were not on a deck with more children scurrying through the hallways.

We did not participate in any of the organized shore excursions, so I cannot comment on that.

I found the adult pool area to be quite nice, but you had to get there early in the morning to get a spot. Same thing with the main pool deck - and the chairs are VERY crowded together.

The common areas on the boat are generally beautiful and we enjoyed the variety of music in the evenings in the main areas. The shows left a LOT to be desired, with the exception of the main "Solstice" show which is like the Cirque d'Solei in many ways. Beautiful.

We had some rough seas for the time of the year and I was very surprised that we felt as much as we did given the size of the boat. Many passengers were ill after the first day at sea.

Otherwise the cruise was fantastic and I'd do another Celebrity cruise again in the future.

Celebrity Solstice Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Concierge Class

C31069
Fabulous bathroom. Closet was smaller than I expected and clothes were constantly getting stuck in the doors. The overall noise level is much higher and you can hear what is going on in the room next to you quite plainly.

Port
We arrived in San Juan at 2pm on Tuesday (our 3rd day of cruising). Because of our dining time (6pm) we only had time to do one fort. I did not find anything else of interest in this port, and while the architecture is beautiful, I do not necessarily care to go back. I found the noise when we first left the boat to be in excess - and by noise I mean all of the cabbies and other locals hawking their wares. By far the worst of the 3 ports we visited.

Read 2,280 San Juan Reviews
A beautiful port of call. It was our decision to only go to Maho beach to watch the planes come in. We loved every minute of it. It was a bit hectic trying to find a taxi that would take us to this port - the taxi stand was quite congested and most people wanted to visit the more popular destinations. But once we were on our way it was well worth it.

Our friends had their shore excursions cancelled or heavily modified. The cancelled shore excursion was refunded, but the modified one was not and our friends were not happy about it.

Read 3,331 St. Maarten Reviews
Port
By far our favorite port of call on the trip. We opted to book our own shore excursion with a private individual and we were not disappointed (Godfrey tours). Very knowledgeable and provided an excellent tour of the entire island. You can customize the excursion as you need or see fit.

We found the locals to be quite welcoming and friendly and not at all too pushy (compared to our first port of call). I would go back to St. Thomas in a heartbeat and experience some of the other surrounding areas.

Read 3,417 St. Thomas Reviews
Published 12/01/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Celebrity Solstice Review
Celebrity Solstice Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?