Ruby Princess Cruise Review by zakfitz

Cabin Number: c753
        16+ 3.0

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
Relaxing Cruise
I sailed on the Ruby Princess with my wife and son over thanksgiving and we had a nice time, relaxing as much as we could.

The Ship was beautiful and was well maintained, very clean. The crew members were very friendly and helpful everywhere you turned.

But here are a few specifics about what I observed:

Embarkation was quick and painless. It took less than 15 minutes before we were walking onto the ship.

It was early (about 1pm) and we went immediately to the solarium to try and reserve a spot for the week...but no luck. Unfortunately, it turned one of the ships positive features into a negative for us.

Same was true for the Chefs table..no luck.

We were able to capture the last two spots in the thermal spa area, which was very nice to relax in...

Our cabin was very nice and our balcony was large and inviting. But the location at the back of the ship made us wonder bout our chioce the first two days of the cruise. We had ALOT of movement dur to high seas and wind....but it calmed down mid cruise and made it much more enjoyable.

Dining was mostly average with few exceptions. We selected the anytime dining option and the maitre'd was very quick and remembered our names and preferences after the first night, which made us feel welcomed. However, the service was dependant upon the luck of the draw. One of the young ladies was very rushed and short, making two errors on our meals (she brought the wrong ones), but in contrast, the next night I felt I had the best service ever, so much that I was compelled to tip the waiter an extra $20 as we left.

Specialty restauraunts were OK. We ate at the steakhouse on thanksgiving and I definately overate. The lobsters were great but I didnt care much for the kansas city steak, I found it very tough and left most of it. Additionally, the atmosphere was significantly impacted by one of the ships senior officers who let his son scream and run around the restauraunt.

The international cafe had some great fare, and the buffett was what you would expect.

Carlito, our cabin stewart was very enjoyable and he always had a smile on his face... as did JR, my bartender of choice.

The ports were interesting as I had not been to any of them before.

Embarkation was hampered by an inoperative ram, but the crew/port did a good job getting us off quickly.

All in all, I enjoyed the cruise and really relaxed.

Publication Date: 12/01/10