Carnival Pride Cruise Review by shworden: 30th Wedding Anniversary Cruise 11/21 - 11/28 2010

shworden
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Bahamas Cruises

30th Wedding Anniversary Cruise 11/21 - 11/28 2010

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

This was our second cruise this year. The First was on the Destiny in August. All I can say is that we were not disappointed. It was as much fun as our August cruise, but in a different way. November Cruises out of Baltimore are a bit different that an August Cruise out of Baltimore. Miami in August, you start out in hot weather and go into hotter and more humid weather and back. From Baltimore you start out in cool/cold weather go to warm weather and back to cold weather. A making for what I call the prime recipe for catching a cold. BUT, it's worth it and the Carnival Pride deals with it well with one of the pool areas that has a canopy to cover it when its cold. The excursions in Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport where great. My only problem with them, having never been there before, is I didn't know what to expect on excursion. And now that I've been there, looking forward to going back taking excursions that I would have taken had I known what I know now.

I only have a More few things that I wish were better, and trust me when I say that none of these would prevent me from taking another Cruise on Carnival Cruise Line. And these concerns are related to both the Pride and Destiny, and unless I find out otherwise, I would guess that it is related to all Cruise Ships.

But before that, here is my only disappointment, which I knew about before I went on the Cruise on the Pride. I REALLY enjoyed the Big Screen TV on the LIDO deck of the Destiny. The Pride DID NOT have one. Bummer.

On the other hand the Destiny didn't have a Steak House. If you want an awesome meal, great food (Prime rib, 24 ounce porter house steak, New York Strip, Lobster, Fillet Mignon, etc) Check out Dave's Steakhouse on the Pride. For just $30 per person you get a meal and service that would cost $100 per person at any equivalent restaurant in the USA.

Now for Cruise Line Suggestions:

1. Each Day a document called "FunTimes" is delivered to you Suite. It list all the events of the day, with times and places. However I find a bit lacking in description. Some of the events get a good write up on what they are about, some get none, and many are repeated more than once (thus the word repeated) and the final detachable chronological order of events list the times and places. I missed some of the events I wish I would have attended because of lack of information or it took too long to sort out what was going on, where and when and what the events were about. Suggest they provide a better description of things.

2. General Announcements. General announcements of events and other situations are made over made in all public areas. Unless you are in a public area, you don't get to here them. And you end up missing some good info. The only announcements heard in the suites are during VERY important situations. YET, when a public announcement is made, the sound on the suite TV is shut off, but you have to go to the Passageway to hear what is being said. There needs to be a way in which a passenger can select to hear all announcements in the room, or to hear only the emergency announcement. Or if this is not possible, quit shutting the sound off on the TV.

3. Need more information on Ports of Call and Excursions. Find the greatly lacking

4. Cruise Lines of out of the Country Shops have Duty Free Stores. There is a dollar amount limit on Duty Free Items before you have to pay. There are also limits on Duty Free Alcohol, amount of Cigarettes, and Cigars that a person is allowed to bring back. The ships tend to push sales on Alcohol and Cigarettes and other Duty Free Items, but NEVER tell you what the limits are until the day before you return. Then you are given instructions on the filling out the Customs Declaration along what the limits are. You can draw your own conclusions as to why they do that.

And that's it for now. My satisfaction with carnival cruise line is such that I put down a deposit for our next cruise, yet to be determined.

Steve Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Suite Empress 6215

Grand Suite 6215 ... Nice, Quiet as it can be on a cruise ship. Large Balcony. Only problem is that the door to Balcony didn't close tightly when unless you forced it and locked it. No problem except during a few hours of 40 Knot Plus winds. Door not being shut tightly made it sound like a hurricane was out side. However, I can say the during 40 Knot Plus winds the roll and pitch of the ship was almost unnoticeable, at least to this ex-Navy guy.

All I can say about Freeport is that the excursion time was too short, and although my wife loved it, it is a very unique strange place. I really liked where we ended up for our couple of hours. But, you have to experience Freeport and draw you own conclusions.

When we tied up to the pier, the starboard side of the ship (our suite side) had a view of the shipyard, and container ship loading area, and a coral sand shipping area. My initial thought was WTF? When to the lido deck and looked at the port side. Beautiful Pier, Jamaican style music playing, lots of people and all the transportation for the excursions were already there. Weird.

The trip via bus to our resort area was, different. went through a whole bunch of industrial areas and run down areas before we got to the resort.

HINT: DON'T RENT A CAR ON FREEPORT. They drive on the side of the road like the British, which is not the problem. The problem is that they drive like maniacs. I saw now less the 5 potential deadly situations in the 15 minute ride. Mainly people passing other vehicles when a normal person would not even risk it. Our bus driver stayed way back from the vehicle in front of him (thank God!)

The resort area was great, but this was considered a "NEW" excursion, and does need a little refining, but well worth it.

Read 775 Freeport Reviews

Excursion to Wyndham Resort. Cost less than going to Atlantis.

Negative: The Cattle Call (aka herding of passengers on the pier for the various excursion, and the walk from the pier to the transportation to you chosen area. And the time it takes to get where you are going and get back takes away from the time you get to spend on what you want to do.

Positive: The driver of the bus we were on, both coming and going to Wyndham Resort was very personable, funny and enjoyable. I don't usually tip these guys, but I did this one.

Positive: Wasn't sure what to expect at this resort, but once we got their the person that met us told us where we could go and what we could do. Basically we walked through the lobby and the instructions were .... This area is all yours, then went on to next to the Buffet ... This area is all yours ... Then to the pool area ... This area is all yours ... then to the beach area .... This area is all yours ... We pretty much had the run of the place. And the last place mentioned was a small drink stand prior to the beach. And we were told we get a free drink, just make sure we tell them whether we wanted Alcoholic or non Alcoholic.

Negative: Getting back on the pier was worse than getting off the pier. Long line inside of a market place to pass through Nassau (semi) security to the pier. After that is was pretty much a breeze. HOWEVER, can't think how uncomfortable that long line would have been in August!

Read 2625 Nassau Reviews

Took Excursion which consisted of a Bus Ride to Ron Jon Surf Shop in Coco Beach. Grand total for this excursion was $16 per person. This was well worth the money, was very professionally done, and was on time. Big Bus. Well worth more that the $16.00