Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by jbone31

Cabin Category: 4E
        3-6 5+
        10-12 4.0

Average all around
My family and I sailed on the Liberty the week of Thanksgiving. Traveling with me was my mother, wife and four children (12, 11, 9 & 6). The initial impression of the ship.. It was big. The checkin process was poor. I just cruised on RCCL in January and it was much more organized / professional. Carnival has a self serve checkin process. The process is just a cost cutting measure. People were just fending for themselves because the manpower was not there to assist.

The screening process / security was weak at best. We walked on with extra bottles of wine and 4 12 packs of soda. The 12 packs were concealed and could have very well been beer but nobody cared to check. Feel free to bring on booze because they were not checking. None in my carry on was detected either.

Once on the ship we were herded like cattle up to the top decks for lunch. The cabins opened up around 1:30ish which I thought was great. Our bags did not arrive until around 430 but was still in time for dinner and that is all that is important.

Our wait staff and room attendant were very good but not great. Little things that I would expect to be taken care of were not. Our waiter could not give my daughter celebrating her 12th birthday a lobster tail as a treat on a night they were not offering it. My wife requested an appetizer for her entree but was told that he was just serve her two apps? Would not have hurt him to combine the two himself for presentation purposes. On the positive he never charged us a corking fee for any of the six bottles of wine we brought to dinner during the week.

Activities for the kids were again were good by not great. My youngest in the 6-8 age group really enjoyed his camp carnival experience. The 9 & 11 year old enjoyed the video games when they were offered but they really spent little time in their camp because the activities didnt interest them too much. My 12 year old met some nice kids and had little interest in the offered programs in her age group as well.

The ship was okay but nothing compared to the Liberty of the Seas I was on in January. The sports deck was really weak on this ship. The B-ball and V-ball court were crazy small and on top of each other. The miniature golf course they created I though, why did they bother. I like the way the ship was more broken up than the RCCL promenades were it is more like an open mall. There were lots of little nooks and bars you could find on the shop which I liked.

Food inthe main dinning room was average. Harrys steakhouse was again good but not great. I enjoy a nice steakhouse and this just wasnt it. The waitress there was robotic and lacked personal presence. The steak was good as were the mashed potatoes.

Ports; Cozumel we did Nachi Cocom and loved it. Place was empty and we had a great time with the family. Grand Cayman we did Stingray City and Rum Point which was great and worth the trip. Ocho Rios we did Dunns River and dont care to go back. Jamaica is hurting and it shows.

This trip was booked on price and I got what I paid for. Not saying that it was bad at all, just not much of a wow factor. I will hold off next time and pay a higher rate to be off Carnival.

Publication Date: 12/01/10