Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by bbenson

Cabin Category: D5
        10-12 4.0
        13-15 5.0

Oasis or Mirage?
I'm a 30 yr old single male. On this trip I was with my parents, both in their 60's, my two sisters, late 30's(ish), and two nieces, both in their mid teens and my nephew who is ten.

I want to start my review by saying WOW, this ship is Big and Gorgeous. Everywhere you turned it seemed there was a new marvel or something that made your jaw drop. And it was oh so amazingly clean, everywhere, all the time.

This was an entirely full sailing. I would imagine that they were at total cruising capacity with 3rd and 4th berths completely full. And it felt like a completely full ship everywhere you went.

So, Let's start with the good: Embarkation: smooth as smooth can be. Our group arrive at three separate times ranging from 12pm to 3pm and everyone agreed that embarkation was a snap. Short Lines, friendly people working the counters, no complaints. It should be noted that the 12pm people did have more of a crowd and a line than the 3 pm people. Continuing the good were our stateroom attendants, we had 5 cabins and 3 different attendants, all of which were excellent. Every time I entered my cabin everything had a place and was in it....which was actually a little annoying because I would move the klenex from it's position on the "top" shelf in the bathroom to the 2nd shelf. I did this everyday because it was more convenient. Every day my attendant would move it back to the top shelf. Finally on the last day I hid the tissue completely....thinking if he couldn't find it, he couldn't move it.... I forgot to stop and think that he'd simply replace the tissue...which he did...D'oh!!!

Ok, now the "sorta" good.. the first night and a half in the main dining room the service was very slow from bread service to bar service. A not so discrete word with the head waiter later and everything moved along nicely the rest of the cruise. I would give the dining service and Excellent rating EXCEPT we had to say something to get good service. As a side note, we did Speciality Dining in Izumi one night and the service and food were outstanding.

Let's move to the not so good: I'm going to preface this section by saying that different people have different likes and different expectations. These are my likes/dislikes if yours are different that's fine, good for you but these are mine. Shows: We really wanted to see some of the shows, we really didn't want to have to wait in line for tickets and then with 8 people hope that the kids, weather, schedules, and stars aligned for us to make that particular show. Why not just make it all first come first serve? As my sister said "This is my vacation, I do not want to make schedules or appointments on my vacation, I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it." So that was a little annoying. Secondly, TOO Many people...way way way to many. You didn't notice it all the time but you certainly noticed it in most of the dining venues. Especially the main dinning room. It would appear the designers tried to save space in the main dining room by eliminating walking aisles so to get to our table we had to weave our way through the other tables which involved some dirty looks and a lot of "excuse me's". It was aggravating each and every night. We also noticed the masses of people when getting back on the ship in port. I have been through a dozen airport metal detectors with my belt on. I know I'm supposed to take it off but half the time my shirt is untucked anyway and I just don't want to deal with the hassle and it NEVER sets off the metal detector...But OHHHH does it set it off getting back on the ship from the islands. It set off the metal detectors not once but twice. And, when getting on the ship they make you throw all your "opened liquids" away....now, is there a security reason for this? Not really...but what if that water is vodka instead of water and you don't buy any $10 drinks that night....hmmmmmm...

One of our biggest dislikes of the ship was that everything was geared towards maximizing profits...and I mean everything. I got so tired of being "upcharged" for things. I don't cruise NCL much because I don't like the concept of "upcharging." I just want to know when exactly Oasis became a NCL ship????

It was a good cruise, it had it's minor annoyances... but like several other reviewers once was more than enough. I think if we cruise royal caribbean again we'll stick to Voyager or Freedom Class ships.

Publication Date: 12/01/10