Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by Jo and Rob

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by Jo and Rob
Allure of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Member Name: Jo and Rob
Cruise Date: November 2010
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Cabin Category: D1
See More About: Allure of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
        3-6 1.0
        7-9 1.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated

First ever sailing on the Allure as UK winners
We were lucky enough to win this preview cruise as the UK winners of the Reporters of the Seas competition and felt priveledged to experience such a wonderful ship. I must admit I had wondered whether the ship being so large would be crude and ugly but not at all. We felt that the Allure of the Seas is an attractive, well designed and spacious ship that has something for the whole family. In fact we thought it was a destination in its own right!

Public Areas

Location finders - The decks have touch screens showing where you are on the ship. You can select a cabin or entertainment venue and it will show you how to get to your chosen destination. It also provides information such as the Cruise compass.

The Boardwalk. This a social area where you can ride the carousel, enjoy a show at the AquaTheatre, listen to the brass band and look up and see the adrenaline junkies on the zip line (yes that includes me!) The lamp posts have flags hanging from the top and circlar seating at the base which makes a great place to people watch. It is also here that you will find Johnny Rockets, the Dog House (with several varieties of sausages from around the world for hot dogs), Rita's Cantina (a Mexican restaurant)and the ice cream parlour and donut store and as well as shops including Pets at Sea (opening soon) and Pinwheels a sweet shop. Access to the climbing wall is from the back of the Boardwalk and there is a rock climbing wall on the port and starboard side.

Central Park. A quiet peaceful area covered in vegetation which makes it very relaxing. Central park is the area where most of the speciality restaurants are located, as well as the Park Cafe a complementary cafe with cakes, pastries, muffins, salad, sandwiches as well as tea and coffee. There is seating inside and out as well as some comfy sofas in the middle of Central Park under a covered glass area. The Britto gallery is a retail gallery with some colourful items for sale and there is also a photographic studio. The Rising Tide Bar is a cocktail bar which moves up and down from the Central Park on deck 8 down to the Royal Promenade on deck 5.

The Royal Promenade. This is bright and airy unlike how I remembered it on the Independence. I think that the extra width on the Allure and the light from the Central Park both contribute to the ambience. Here you will find many shops including Guess, the Cupcake cupboard, the champagne bar and complementary eating venues, such as the Promenade cafe for breakfast, sandwiches and cakes and Sorrentos a pizzeria.

The Lifts - There are 24 guest lifts 12 at the front and 12 at the back. I loved the lifts at the back of the ship as they had beautiful sparkly ballerina dresses that turned as the ship moved and twinkled in the sunlight and lights. There are also glass lifts at the front with different decorated disks as you speed through the floors.

The Sport Deck - The zip line is excellent fun as you fly above the Boardwalk. There are two flowriders on the port and starboard side. The operator was happy to ride alongside and give hints and tips as you ride the waves and I really enjoyed it. However, the sensor has not settled yet and he had to keep hitting the emergency cut off switch when it bubbled out of control. Fortunately I had seen it happen to someone else before it turned into a whirl pool for me and I was fine but it would have been very frightening for a nervous swimmer who does not go out of their depth. The mini-golf is a good little course and the miniature clubs and big balls for small children were great. There is also a basketball court that was very popular with Hollywood actor Adam Sandler.

The pools - the H2O zone on the starboard side was a hit with my two children again. They love the water cannons, the Jacuzzis and the self serve ice-cream! On the starboard side of the H2O zone there is a normal pool and another Jacuzzi. Beyond the bars there is a beach area with more pools and beyond that are the cantilevered whirlpools (with TV screens) and the Solarium which are adult only areas.

The cabin - This is the one area that let the Allure down compared to cruises on other cruise lines and Indy. We had a balcony cabin and when the sofa bed was made up you hardly had any floor space left and it was very difficult to get to the balcony. What made it worse was that our steward didn't put the sofabed away on the first day and we could barely move in our cabin. If there had been a bunk and a single sofa bed there wouldn't have been such a problem. Even when we got the steward to put the sofa bed away the cabin was still tight on space. The wardrobe is so close to the bed that you end up leaning backwards over the bed in order to get clothes in and out. We had just come back from a cruise on the Costa Serena and although the cabin was only an outside on the Serena it was much bigger than the cabin on the Allure which was a disappointment. One nice touch however was the dual ipod / iphone docking station.

The entertainment

The AquaTheatre was a real highlight for us and the high diving show is not to be missed. This is also the location for one of the sailaway parties which is a fantastic celebration with Dreamworks characters who invite everyone on stage to dance.

The Ice show - How to Train your Dragon. Fortunately I watched the film on the flight over so it made perfect sense (they simultaneously play extracts from the film on a screen behind) and even if you haven't, the costumes and characters are very visual.

The Move it Move it Parade - The Dreamworks characters are superb and the children absolutely loved the parade. Characters on board include the Penguins, Alex and Gloria from Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda and Shrek and Fiona.

The theatre - our headline act was Ronn Lucas the ventriloquist who we have previously enjoyed on the Royal Variety Show in England. He was very entertaining although I admit I was familiar with quite a lot of his material. It may be because he wasn't expecting anyone from the UK in the audience. Our son was blown away with his act and it made an excellent end to our cruise.

Food and Drink - As this was a preview cruise all the food and drink was complementary. The film crew for Jack and Jill block booked the speciality restaurants so we ate in the Main Dining Room and the Windjammer most of the time. The food in both was excellent. I was particularly impressed with the Windjammer as I hated it on the Independence but the food quality and choice was excellent. In the Main Dining Room we enjoyed escargots, lobster bisque, beef fillet, lobster tails, rack of lamb and scallop risotto. A word of warning for UK travellers, if you like your steak rare order medium on the Allure as the cuisson was always under what we were expecting.

We were lucky enough to win this preview cruise as the UK winners of the Reporters of the Seas competition and felt priveleged to experience such a wonderful ship. I must admit I had wondered whether the ship being so large would be crude and ugly but not at all. We felt that the Allure of the Seas is an attractive, well designed and spacious ship that has something for the whole family. In fact we thought it was a destination in its own right!

Public Areas

The entertainment

Overall impressions - a beautiful ship that surpassed all our expectations. The staff were really friendly and helpful throughout. We were kept pretty busy recording our two videos for the Reporters of the Seas competition win, but we left the ship wishing we could stay on as there was so much more we still had to do (Blue Planet and the Ice games show) Jack and Jill filming took over large areas of the ship during the cruise making some areas out of bounds at times but for no longer than a day. Our highlight was going on the bridge and our 8 year old interviewing Captain Zini. I thoroughly recommend this ship, just make sure your cruise has lots of sea days!!!

If you would like to see some pictures of the Allure of the Seas we have posted a selection on our thread on the Allure site:

Publication Date: 12/01/10