Wind Spirit Cruise Review by on-a-roll: The best-kept secret in cruising

on-a-roll
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Wind Spirit Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

The best-kept secret in cruising

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

My wife and I just finished a 7-day Rome/Rome cruise on Wind Spirit. The ship is gorgeous. In spite of a dry-dock and extensive refit this past spring, the crew was constantly busy scrubbing, painting and polishing. Although the ship is over 20 years old, she's aging beautifully. We saw neither a spec of grime nor any signs of deferred maintenance.

Cabin was wonderful. Extremely comfortable bedding and pillows. Lots of storage. 110v and 220v power. Great bathroom layout. Plenty of light once we finally figured out the switches. That plus the hideaway table we didn't discover until day six causes me to recommend that you ask the room steward to show you the features of your cabin!

Food was absolutely top notch (a Dutch chef with a degree from the Culinary Institute of America). The service was even better. In spite of open seating, the dining staff knew our names by day 3. The bar staff knew our names AND favorite drinks in the same period. A majority of the waitstaff More we talked to started on big ships, and have been with Windstar for over a dozen years.

Professional and attentive service in a relaxed setting.

My wife enjoyed the watersports platform (she tried the kayaks and the small sailboat). We both thought the piano player was great --- an accomplished musician with a quick wit.

My favorite feature? An open bridge with friendly officers!

We are in our 50s. This was our 15th cruise. Have tried the bigger boats and don't much care for the crowds. It was interesting to arrive in a small port with the Wind Spirit. The quaint places we visited (Italian coast and Corsica) were only charming until one of the big cruise ships arrived to share it with us. As soon as their swarm of passengers descended, we found ourselves retreating inland or back to the ship. (When I was on one of those bigger ships, I never realized their profound effect on small ports.)

We fell in love with the Wind Spirit, and have already booked another cruise on her next fall. Less

Read more Wind Spirit cruise reviews >>