Costa Classica Cruise Review by Josie Hamnett: Costa Calamity

Costa Calamity

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Hong Kong

I do not have much more to add to the reviews of this lamentable effort of a cruise.

Everything that has been said is doubly true.

Costa should never have allowed this cruise to go ahead after it's collision and a number of staff leaving the ship.

The English speaking "host" (you know who you are) was a total and utter waste of time. Any complaints were just written down and then (I imagine) chucked in the bin.

If the buffoons had spent as long getting things right as they seemed to getting things wrong we would have all had a better time despite the atrocious weather.

I took my complaint about the "restaurant" to the Maitre D (probably the most arrogant person I have met in my life). He took not a blind bit of notice of anything we said and nothing was done to improve the appalling "food" and service. Has anyone else been on a cruise that did not have a sommelier?

The ports we visited (and those we didn't, 14 hours on a plane for More 6 ports)

were excellent.I totally agree about the "lost" hours in Singapore. We did meet some excellent people and would hope to bump into them again on future cruise to reminisce about this expensive disaster.

Credit where it's due to our travel agents "Travelsphere".(They flew a rep in to keep us informed of what was happening and we did not feel abandoned like some from Virgin who were told" well you're Costas responsibility now!) We already had two days in the centre of Hong Kong and were very happy to be transferred to the most excellent hotel by the airport( I can understand the reason for putting us all there as they had people coming from all over the world and had to keep us all in one place as the chances were even they did not know when we would sail).

We had a smashing trip in the cable car to see Big Buddha.

We are now still waiting for our refund of TWO days,I think they could not tell us how much as we all paid different and our t/a will want their cut.

We have sent our bank details in full again and are now waiting for our account to be emptied to pay for none existent "house keeping" !!!!!! Less

Read more Costa Classica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Costa Classica Review >>

Cabin review: Costa Classica Oceanview Genoa Deck 6145

Our cabin was a decent size although wardrobe space was limited and my husband had to remove the doors to stop them CRASHING closed in the storm. Our original cabin had been damaged and we were given one at the rear of the ship. It had been set for three Japanese people,but we are two Brits! The "bathroom" left a lot to be desired and you had to run round in the shower to get wet! It was probably better standing out side as the floor was saturated.

wet hot humid excellent

Read 28 Da Nang Reviews

did not visit this as part of "cruise"

HOT we took the ships full day tour and visited the botanical gardens ( a must see soooooooooooooo beautiful) visited Little China had a trip on the river. A visit to Sentosa and a ride in the Tiger tower. Go sardined into a mono rail. Saw the cruise terminal where if we had really been on a cruise and not a ferry we would have docked.