Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by excitedofharpenden

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by excitedofharpenden
Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Eclipse
Member Name: excitedofharpenden
Cruise Date: October 2010
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: S2
See More About: Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment Not Rated

Chasing the setting sun again on Celebrity Eclipse
Eclipse was great. I loved the ship and the cruise as a whole. Qsine was a fabulous experience and we spent nearly four and a half hours there. Thank goodness our reservation was for 6.30pm! Of course Eclipse is very similar to Equinox although I preferred her interior design. It was nice to see the Scottie dog sculpture outside in the Ensemble Lounge. I remember that from when I was on Galaxy and it was like seeing an old friend. I loved the way the tree in the atrium (right way up this time) swayed as the ship rolled.

The public areas in general as with the rest of the ship are beautiful. There are plenty of nice areas to sit outside if you are not using a balcony. Two favourite spots were the Lawn Club where there is some soft seating and the Solstice Deck. Both these area can be very windy though when the ship is under sail and if this is the case the furniture will most likely be tied down, especially the Solstice Deck. If it is warm enough and you like the wind in the hair feel these areas are great.

Overall the meals in the MDR were very good, but just couldn't even hold a candle to our Murano experience. For the small supplement it was a wonderful meal with great service. Tuscan was also great with super service, but I think as it was toward the end of the cruise my appetite was beginning to wane. As is always the case all that good food had me hankering for a cheese sandwich.

I wanted to mention S2 cabin 2129. Oh boy, was that a noisy cabin. I was very sorry I swapped from 1A 9215. The thundering of the carts overhead at all hours woke me up and kept me awake on a few occasions and after one particularly bad night with much noise I rang Guest Relations to ask if they could just put me somewhere else to sleep, even if it was an inside cabin. After initially feeling unloved with their delayed response in which they gave me the run around and fobbed me off with an excuse as to that delay they did finally come up with a satisfactory resolution and were very concerned to check on how I was doing, which was appreciated. However I am still kicking myself that I upgraded. The cabin is beautiful and very comfortable, but the noise overhead in that particular area of the ship is not. I did understand from one of the Maitre d's that carts with pneumatic wheels may be used in future as it is a known problem.

Service from everyone on board was as usual first class, from our butler to those seen around the ship cleaning and polishing. The bar tenders were excellent as were the servers in the Ensemble Lounge and Martini Bar.

We had some nice port stops, but as this was more a cruise for rest and relaxation I am not going to write a detailed review of those. We saw Paris and the British D-Day beaches (Juno, Sword and Gold), had a walk around Vigo which I found to be a really enjoyable place to visit and a four wheel drive around the island in our stop in Ponta Delgada, Azores which was fun.

I love transatlantics for their sea days. I know it might not be for everyone, but I find nothing better for clearing the mind than sitting on the balcony or at the aft bar having a drink and watching the sea go past. We lucked out with very good weather. We had quite a lot of sunshine and it was reasonably warm except for a day as we neared Florida when there was a distinctly cool nor' easter that kicked the water up to the north of us. For the most part the ship had a gentle, but pronounced roll. Just right to remind one of being at sea and not just on a floating hotel (not that I have ever felt like that about this class of ship).

So a lovely time with great friends and plans for another cruise next year on Solstice.

Publication Date: 11/29/10