Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Reggae Party

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Reggae Party
Carnival Conquest
Entertainment 5+
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean
Hi Everyone, I was a "single" cabin user,(#7205 handicapped room w/window and as front & center as you can get) late booker (Nov. 8th) passenger on the Conquest. I'm not handicapped, but, this late in the game, that's where they put me. I didn't know what cabin I was in until I got to the pier. I was prepared for a "bottom of the boat/inside room", but, really lucked out! The handicapped rooms are quite roomy. The bathroom was really spacious in order to accommodate wheelchairs. I didn't have any docs, obviously, booking 6 days before the sailing date, but it wasn't a problem.

I've sailed on Carnival 3 times before (Imagination-Halloween '96, Victory-inaugrual cruise '98? & Spirit 10/27/02 inaugural cruise) and have always had an awesome time. Went on Royal Caribbean, in between, but will stick with Carnival. I'm a late nighter, who loves the disco and Carnival's discos always rock into the wee hours. (Followed by the "3:00am Stagger Parade" to the pizza place.)

Sunday, Nov. 14-Cleve. to New Orleans. 2:17 p.m. -- Grabbed luggage, caught cab to pier (23 minute ride, $23.00). No hassle from baggage handlers begging for tips, like in Miami. No traffic, no waiting, went straight into terminal. Sat for 15 min., then had to stand in line for 25 minutes while Carnival begins the endless amount of "photo opportunities." If only we could have by-passed the Carnival Photographers, it would have been a quick walk-on.

It was my first time having a cabin to myself and I loved it. (I did pay as much as 2 passengers, but, I expected that. Carnival doesn't give any breaks on that.) I wasn't really "alone" on the cruise. My "body guards," John & Larry, came in the night before, to party in NO and chase the women. You're never really "alone" if you like to meet new people. (OK, I was only alone when J&L were hunting "wild Bikinis," which was from sunrise 6:26 a.m. to sunset 5:05 p.m. But, it was their vacation,too.) Between the 3 of us, we all met a bunch of new friends, that we introduced to each other and in return, added to the fun.

Found cabin #7205, dropped off carry-on, incredibly ran into John & Larry in hall (we ended up on the same floor) and headed to the back of the ship's pool bar to begin the destruction of our livers! (My bar bill +$500.00. My recollection of some events-"0". Buying the pictures of the unrecollected events-BIG BUCKS & still paying for it. The fun I had on this vacation-Priceless.)

Lunch was available to everyone who boarded early (1:30 p.m.-3?). Life Boat Drill-approx. 5:15 p.m. Atlantic Deck 4. Don't try & hide from going to this mandatory event. It makes everyone else have to wait for you to get your butt out there, and it's hot in the life jackets. Also...DON'T think you're the first person to put your lips on the whistle that is attached to your life jacket. (Unless, you're the loud, obnoxious type. Please, toot away!) Drinks are not allowed to be brought to the drill. It went rather quickly, and we could get back to getting acquainted with the bar staff.

6:00 p.m. -- The ship leaves New Orleans, by going down the "muddy Mississip" and out to the ocean. The casino opens shortly, once we're in International waters. There are 2 restaurants for dining and 4 dining times. Main seating is 6:00 & late seating is 8:00 -- Monet dining room. 6:30 & 8:30 for the Renoir dining room. Look on your Sign & Sail card for your dining room, seating time & table #. 1st night was casual, no shorts or tank tops.

Formal Nights were Monday & Thursday. Attire was from "The Queen must be coming!" to tennis shoes with a suit. Some guy had a screen-printed "tux t-shirt" on in the casino. I don't know if he actually wore it at dinner. Mostly, suit jackets & ties for the guys and a "well-accessorized" dress or pantsuit for the women. (Yes, husbands, new jewelry IS required for the wives.) Remember, it IS vacation. If you aren't "into" formal, the pizza place is open 24 hours and it really is good! Heck, we all changed out of our fancy clothes as soon as dinner was over, anyway.

My routine, so you'll know what kind of cruise passenger you are dealing with, goes something like this...9 a.m. -- breakfast on pool deck, tan, drink, read, drink, Oops...apply sun block, drink, shake head in disbelief on how some overweight, middle-aged men think wearing Speedos makes them look sexy, take BIG drink, watch pool games, drink, listen to calypso band, drink, spot John & Larry looking like stalkers with cameras, drink, question self "why are so many older women are sporting tattoos??" eat lunch (repeat the list, starting at "drink"). 4:00 p.m. -- naptime. 6:00 p.m. shower, dress for dinner, head to casino, drink, lose quarters in slots, drink, go to lobby to listen to piano music, meet new bartender, drink, 8:00 p.m. dinner. Quit drinking during dinner. Laugh so much with J&L, I almost have my drink come out my nose. Check out Vladimir's, (our waiter's) butt. Nice. 9:30 head to casino bar. Disco opens at 10:00 p.m.. 10:30 -- Head to disco at w/ J&L. John talks us into trying sushi at the sushi bar. Umm...yuck? Wasabi is NOT the sweet sauce!! Look at moronic friends laughing/crying and make note to self "take J&L off Christmas card list". 11:00 p.m. -- Go to disco. Dance in chair. Loser friends won't dance with me. Decide, "It is too OK for women to ask men to dance." Choose victim. Dance, drink, dance, dance, dance, drink. Switch dance victims. (Repeat.) "Angela" is MY waitress for the rest of the cruise, since she's really nice and humored my friends, while we secretly made fun of them. 3:30ish a.m.??? -- Close disco. Go to poolside pizza and pool bar. Eat, drink shots of "Sex on the Beach." Drink more shots of whatever the heck Larry ordered. Black out. Memory erased the walk from bar to cabin.

10:00 a.m. -- Wake up, clothed AND with 2 pairs of socks on? Larry said I kept spilling my drink on him on the walk back. Larry lies. John said, Larry had tried to fix my bathroom door, but he couldn't fix it. John's a Neanderthal and wears women's granny panties! John escorts me back to my cabin to show me my "broken" door. (Yeah, right!) And.....uh, I end up apologizing to John and thank him for fixing my freakin' door. Pick up cabin phone, call "Betty Ford Clinic" and make reservations for next week,ask for the corner room. (The one that looks out at the fountain.)

OK, this is getting too long and this was just the 1st day of the cruise. I may or may not continue on with this story. But, bottom line...we had a great time. We had fun in every port and met a lot of wonderful people. The crew on this ship was awesome. 2 thumbs up!

Publication Date: 11/27/04