Eurodam Cruise Review by Sealion: Didn't Find Anything Special with the Eurodam

Member Since 2001

Compare Prices on Eurodam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Didn't Find Anything Special with the Eurodam

Sail Date: November 2010

The cliental on the ship was good... A few young families with kids and then mostly middle-aged couples and older folks. Everyone was pleasant and courteous. All the folks seemed to be enjoying themselves and no problems encountered with anyone.

The food was good and served warm, but I was surprised at how consistently small the portions were at dinner. For example, the filet mignon served to us from the 'surf & turf' menu one night, was just about the same size of a White Castle hamburger! I'm being serious too. Even one of the petit ladies at our table, who order the surf & turf, looked at me like 'what is this?'! However, one nice thing about the Lido Deck where breakfast and lunch is served is that the staff dishes out the food at the buffet line. To me, it made for a much healthier atmosphere.

The staff was very good and the ship was very clean too. But I was disappointed in the ship itself. The Eurodam is only two years old but there was nothing More special about it. There really wasn't anything luxurious about the ship's dEcor and nothing unique with any of the ship's common area that would have you keep coming back to spend time there with family and friends.

Overall, the entertainment was not good at all. Like all the other ships, the Eurodam 'tried' to put on a couple of Broadway type of shows. However, the ship's entertainers couldn't sing a tune and their dance moves weren't very good either. The cruise director kept bragging about how they were the best in the Caribbean, but if they were on American Idol or Dancing with the Stars, they would have been among the first booted off!!! My wife and I aren't very critical people, but we saw enough of them the first night, during a short presentation on the stage, to know they were a bland group of entertainers. During their premier show the next night, my wife and I left early and didn't bother with any of their other shows. We did find the piano lounge with this guy who could sing and was funny too. (He interacted a lot with the people there.) There was also another show on the big stage that Holland America brought in - An Irish couple that could really sing and play their instruments (violin and guitar) well. One of our dinner partners saw the magicians' show that Hal had brought in and said that it was 'good'. But like most people on a cruise, I'm looking for a different type of entertainment than what you would get from a magician. So I was disappointed with our entertainment options when comparing them with some of the other cruise lines.

One annoying thing about the Eurodam was that smoking was allowed in the casino and the sports bar. It was so bad that I didn't even want to walk thru the casino. Needless to say, my wife and I, along with one of the other couples we were with, didn't spend any time in the casino. The piano bar was close to the casino and you would even get even a whiff of smoke in there every once in a while. (No real entertainment and now the casino was off limits too!!!)

The 'new' ports that we stopped at were pretty good... Grand Turk was a nice place to just relax. (Didn't do any sightseeing.) Half Moon Cay (HAL's private beach) was also very nice. I have to tip my hat to Holland America for doing an excellent job with that place. St Thomas and San Juan were the same as in the past - Nothing new with them, but an okay place to get off the ship and do whatever you want.

In summary, we got a decent price for our cabin (balcony) on the Eurodam and did have a good time. (How could you not on a cruise ship with good friends and family!) But if the Eurodam is typical of Holland America, I think we'll pass on that cruise line the next time and go back to Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. Less

Read more Eurodam cruise reviews >>