Carnival Dream Cruise Review by 2ndhoney: Nice cruise, but had issues...

2ndhoney
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Nice cruise, but had issues...

Sail Date: November 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Embarkation in Port Canaveral - Got there by 11:15am, check-in was fast, then waited for group to be called. All in all it was a 30 min wait til we got on the ship.

The ship is nice, but a bit "loud" in decor for me. The yellow of the Atrium bothered my eyes while in the elvator sometimes. We had 4,200 people sailing with us and I felt it. Especially in the Lido at breakfast, near showtime or dinner time.

We had a Cove Balcony - very nice, would book another in a heart beat, great view, but our cabin had a connecting door and the TV was right next to it - we heard our neighbors TV and some of their conversations. The balcony door slams, so we had to be mindful to hold onto it to shut it (I hated hearing other doors slam all the time).

Food - We tried the Lido for breakfast the first day - never ate there again. The crowds were too much! Pushy people, long lines... We ended up in the main dining room with a table for 2 every morning. Dinner we had Your TIme More Dining which we never had to wait for a table for two except for the first night & formal nights and the wait was 20 mins at the most. One thing we did hate during dinner was all the nights (except formal) they had loud dance music and the waiters danced for a song. Now I got to dinner to have a nice quiet dinner, but this was too much - I wish they would stop doing this. We ate in the Steakhouse - well worth it! I ate many lunches at the Indian place & the stir fry (but long lines). The other dining venues were great - the pasta place, indian, stiry fry, burrito bar, grill, etc. but the hours were bad - sea days they were only open until 2:30pm - if you wanted food after that you had to go to the deli or get pizza, and on port days they were open until 3:30pm which was odd since most people weren't back on board until after that time.

Entertainment - My husband and I aren't show people. We live in NY and see shows all the time so this isn't a big deal for us. We do hit the casino - although my husband didn't do well at poker, I did pretty well on penny slots. We don't do Bingo anymore - it's an addiction to me! During the day on sea days, there wasn't much to do. I'm not into trivia, or hairy chest contests, and the art auction took way too long - I understand you want to discuss the art, but 10 mins talking about one painting?!

Spa/Gym - Used the gym. As usual it's very crowded first thing in the morning, but by 11am you have your pick of machines. I took the 3 pilates classes ($12 ea) but they were a 4pm which is the cruiseline norm but it prevented me from doing other things that started at 3pm. Didn't partake in any spa service - I can get better prices at spas at home.

Crew - The crew was very nice. They did go out of their way to make you happy.

Crowds - Yes, if you go to a popular event (dining, show, etc) you will encounter the crowds. On the last night they had a $20 watch sale in the shop area - I had to go up a level and then back down because they crowded that area so bad.

Ports -

Cozumel - Last time I was here is went to Tulum so missed the city. We walked from the dock area to downtown (1/2 hour walk) along the beach. The sellers were bad - at a few stores I was followed around and if I pointed out anything to my husband they jumped all over you! We ended up haveing lunch at La Choza in downtown and then going back to the ship.

Belize - We didn't do an excursion here, just went to the port area. Sellers were very friendly and not pushy. We ended up buying a few things here (even though the port area is small). Had a drink before we got back on the tender.

Honduras - We booked a provate zip line here and it was the best thing we ever did! They took us around the west side of the island (very pretty) and then our zipline. Afterwards we went back on board the ship and changed into out swimsuits and hit the beach at Mahogany Bay (plenty of chairs) and then did a little shopping in the port area.

Costa Maya - It poured for most of our time there. We walked around the port area and had drinks and a snack when it really poured. Thankfully we always trvel with umbrellas!

Debrakation - We did self-assist and were off the ship by 6:45am. We rented a car and got breakfast in Cocoa Beach, then headed to the Orlando airport.

All in all it was a great vacation, but I really don't like travelling with that may people and will make sure we pick smaller ships. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>