Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by clo6216: MOSTLY HITS, BUT SOME F&B MISSES

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Bahamas Cruises

MOSTLY HITS, BUT SOME F&B MISSES

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Bahamas

We arrived around noon, and embarkation was easy.

Our Concierge Class stateroom was on the "hump," which afforded us an over-sized balcony. Our stateroom attendant, Desmond, was excellent. The stateroom was roomy, the bedding exceptional, the bathroom large and comfortable.

The ship is absolutely breathtaking. The art/architecture throughout the ship is fantastic. The layout, however, makes for very crowded hallways in the public areas. For example, the Martini/Ice Bar is stuck in the middle of a main thoroughfare, as are other entertainment areas. The bars were sorely understaffed. Bartenders were always leaving their posts to get more supplies. Many people bought the beverage packages and overwhelmed the servers with lots of time-consuming specialty drinks that sometimes were discarded.

The evening shows were, as Simon Cowell would say, typical cruise entertainment. The musicians throughout the ship were excellent and plentiful.

The special guest More lecturer was Dr. LoriK, an antiques and art expert. She was extremely informative and entertaining. I had not heard of her before, but now I'm a fan. She's smart, funny and engaging.

The gym is the largest, most comprehensive I've seen on a ship. I think the casino was one of the biggest, too. Of course, we've never been on a ship with almost 3,000 passengers before.

The only port visited was Nassau, and we did not get off the ship as we've been there numerous times.

Recommendations:

Take the I-Pad tour of the art throughout the ship. You can borrow an I-Pad from Guest Relations if you don't have one.

Spend time in the Solarium. It's an indoor pool/relaxation area. The Aqua Spa Cafe is there, too.

Pay the $5 for The Bistro. It's worth it. So is the coffee bar.

DO NOT choose Select Dining. We had horrible dining room experiences. Even though we had reservations, we had to wait in line outside of the dining room for 10-15 minutes. Our "table for two" was separated by two inches from diners on either side of us. It was like eating at a long table for 20. Our servers, who varied from day-to-day, threw our food down and never checked to see if everything was okay. Although the food was mostly excellent, one night I was served overcooked halibut, left the whole thing and the assistant waiter just scooped up my full plate as the waiter put my dessert in front of me.

We were on a waiting list for all three specialty dining venues, for every night, for any time (that's how much I hated the dining room), but never got in. If we ever go on such a large ship again, I will book specialty dining in advance of sailing. I didn't think it was necessary for a 3-day cruise. I was wrong.

Sorry to end on a negative, but the poor F&B service really put a damper on the cruise. I suspect the staff will get better with experience on this ship. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Concierge Class Panorama Deck (9) 2105

2105. Plenty of room. Oversize balcony. Convenient location.