Oosterdam Cruise Review by mevicar

Cruise Date: November 2010
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: VF
See More About: Oosterdam Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Oosterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Oosterdam Deck Plans
Hello HAL
This was our 5th cruise, and second to the Mexican Riviera. Heard HAL was for the older crowd - I'm 50 so I don't know if that's older or not. Anyway off we went. San Diego is a nice port to leave from because it is small and only 10 minutes from the airport.

Our cabin was way up front on deck four. We did experience a little more bouncing then in the past. This could be for several reasons:

1. We were way up front.

2. We were in the Pacific as opposed to the Caribbean.

3. The Oosterdam is a smaller ship.

4. We were in 5-7 foot waves - Ship's log said so.

Again, not bad, just a bit more than I like.

Cabin was fine. Plenty of storage. We had a broken toilet seat, reported it and it was changed the same day.

Food was very good. I read that HAL food was bland but I didn't think so. Dinner offered 4 appetizers, 4 starters, and 5 entrees every night plus some "standard fare" if noting looked good. We were quite pleased.

We did go to the Pinnacle Grill - the speciality restaurant one night. Wow. I know it's $20 bucks extra but, hey you're on a cruise. Food was excellent. Portions were huge. Service as expected.

Shows were good. Typical sing and dance reviews. We really enjoyed the comedian/magician. He truly was amazing.

HAL offers Microsoft Digital Workshop Classes. Great stuff if you want to know more about computers or uploading digital photos. Very helpful - hands on - they had about a dozen computers in use.

Great library. Best of any ship I've been on.

Other activities included little things around the ship. It's not that big so no mini-golf or rock climbing etc. Yes, the crowd was older but it was a pretty good mix of families as well.

Really, no complaints and I will sail with them again.

Publication Date: 11/29/10