Oosterdam Cruise Review by mevicar: Hello HAL

Hello HAL

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

This was our 5th cruise, and second to the Mexican Riviera. Heard HAL was for the older crowd - I'm 50 so I don't know if that's older or not. Anyway off we went. San Diego is a nice port to leave from because it is small and only 10 minutes from the airport.

Our cabin was way up front on deck four. We did experience a little more bouncing then in the past. This could be for several reasons:

1. We were way up front.

2. We were in the Pacific as opposed to the Caribbean.

3. The Oosterdam is a smaller ship.

4. We were in 5-7 foot waves - Ship's log said so.

Again, not bad, just a bit more than I like.

Cabin was fine. Plenty of storage. We had a broken toilet seat, reported it and it was changed the same day.

Food was very good. I read that HAL food was bland but I didn't think so. Dinner offered 4 appetizers, 4 starters, and 5 entrees every night plus some "standard fare" if noting looked good. We were quite More pleased.

We did go to the Pinnacle Grill - the speciality restaurant one night. Wow. I know it's $20 bucks extra but, hey you're on a cruise. Food was excellent. Portions were huge. Service as expected.

Shows were good. Typical sing and dance reviews. We really enjoyed the comedian/magician. He truly was amazing.

HAL offers Microsoft Digital Workshop Classes. Great stuff if you want to know more about computers or uploading digital photos. Very helpful - hands on - they had about a dozen computers in use.

Great library. Best of any ship I've been on.

Other activities included little things around the ship. It's not that big so no mini-golf or rock climbing etc. Yes, the crowd was older but it was a pretty good mix of families as well.

Really, no complaints and I will sail with them again. Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 4006

Nice. Quiet. No hall traffic. Didn't like that my balcony stuck out a foot or two from the rooms above me. I was on deck 4. Others could look down if we were at the railing. Somebodies swimsuit fell and landed on my balcony and so did two bottle tops. Not the ship's fault. Most of the time no one was above us the same time we were. And if we were sitting it was no problem at all - although you are told - this room has a metal wall not Plexiglas. So if you are sitting you have to look over the railing.

Ahh Cabo. The Arch. The best port I know of to watch the ship pull in. As you turn from the Pacific into the Sea of Cortez it is an amazing sight. Here you tender to the shore so the ship has beautiful sights all around it. I love this port. No taxis. Lots to see. Great food all around and again if you like to walk there is another mall. One that is mentioned because - oh look - they sell diamonds and silver and everything else. Cabo is the best.

Probably the worst port I've ever been to. You have to shuttle from the ship to the welcome center on extended golf cart wagons through the working dock area. Then a taxi to downtown. For what? Save yourself a lot of grief, buy a souvenir at the market right next to the welcome center where the prices are as good as anywhere and get back on the ship in time for lunch.

Read 290 Mazatlan Reviews

Very nice. There is a mall - a big mall (and sadly a Wal-Mart) right across the street from the dock area. It is new and beautiful. It has a casino and a movie theater - in Spanish of course. But also a Starbucks and a food court. The shopping guru on the ship NEVER MENTIONS this. Probably because there is no Diamonds place that is begging for business. How nice to just go to the mall and look around without anyone soliciting!

You can also take the taxi to the beach area for tourist shopping, and the usual downtown stuff. Not bad. Great sand sculptures but not really a beach to swim at, more for just walking.