Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Axua82: RCCL cruiser tries CCL

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

Hello,

Let me start with my cruising background. This marked my 15th cruise, mostly with Royal Caribbean, and it was GREAT! I have sailed with Carnival one time a few years ago, in a nightmare trip that resulted much like the recent Splendor's fate, but not that bad... and i promised to never cruise Carnival again, not even with the %50 voucher i received at the time of my ship breaking down in mid-trip. I've also sailed on Disney, Princess, and NCL. Last year i even sailed on the OASIS of the SEAS' 2nd voyage.

I found this itinerary and decided that I'd give Carnival ONE more try, and I was pleasantly surprised! (Oh and no, the %50 off voucher expired YEARS ago...) All that said, here it goes:

ROOMS: I had an extended balcony right on deck 5 forward, and it was excellent. The room was clean and spacious, and the balcony was great. We were 3 adults sharing a cabin and had plenty of places to store all of our belongings, and made great use of the extra space More on the balcony. We even invited over some friends we made on board and all fit fine on the balcony. Decor was nothing special, but the beds were comfy and clean, and that's all that really matters in the end!

OUTSIDE: The pool areas were clean and in decent condition. Never had a problem trying to get a seat in the hot tubs, or take a dip in the pools. The aft pool was great for sitting back and watching the ship leave San Diego, and all the other ports. Also, aft pool area is open and is where the slide is located, and yes, I tried it several times and it was GREAT!

Decor again wasn't the strong point, but all in all it was ok.

FOOD: The food was definitely a LOT better than i had anticipated. Everything was tasty and seemed fresh. There was a lot of variety in the buffet and dining room menus. They even have a Late-night Bistro for those who would like a bite to eat between 11:30-1am! That was great, because sometimes on other ships, its hard to find anything other than the usual pizzerias and sandwiches... And yes, as i have read in other posts, the chocolate melting cake is delicious!

SHOWS: I don't like the Broadway style shows, so i never attend them, but i did go to the comedy shows, and they were pretty good.

STAFF: The staff all seemed very friendly and helpful. No complaints in that area at all. Everyone was very efficient in the dining room and room attendant.

OVERALL: The 3 of us were all very pleased with this ship, and all plan to cruise with Carnival again. I wish this itinerary would continue to be offered as a nice alternative to the 7day itineraries.

If you'd like anymore info on this ship or itinerary, please email me at FREEDOM OT SEAS @aol.com Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Balcony Upper 5120

Great balcony, spacious closets, could hear noise from main theater at times, but not all night long or anything.

I have been to Acapulco before on both cruise and land vacations, so obviously I love it! Its busy, "rough around the edges", but once you look beyond that, you can appreciate the amazing views from the main beach. We took a taxi from the port to Playa Condesa, and stayed there a few hours at the beach, swimming, eating, drinking, then went off to eat some excellent local mexican food at "Tacos Tumbras". Its an outdoor simple place, but the food was delicious! We were lucky to ask some locals of a good place to eat and they suggested this place, and they were RIGHT! After that it was time for a quick stop to see the cliff divers, then headed back to the ship, with time to spare...

Read 149 Acapulco Reviews

This small fishing town is very rustic mexican. Take a taxi to "Playa La Ropa" or a water taxi ride to "Playa las Gatas" for a fun filled day of beach and sun. They both offer food, drinks, and placed to sit under palapas (for a small fee), and the views of the ship from here are beautiful! Its a tender stop, but its not a long ride to the port.

This stop, we took a taxi to a resort all-inclusive called TESORO. Its about $40 for a day pass which includes use of the pool, beach, shower and spa facilities, and YES, alcoholic beverages! It was a great way to enjoy the beach in this town.