Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by BellaBee: 1st Time Cruiser

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

1st Time Cruiser

Sail Date: November 2010
Embarkation: Galveston

We are first time cruisers so I read and researched a lot before booking an anniversary cruise for myself and DH. We are both 44, fun loving and adventurous. We were leaving our 2 year old for the first time so although excited about our trip, we were nervous about leaving him.

We traveled to Galveston from Dallas the night before and stayed at the Harbor House to celebrate our anniversary. They upgraded us to a suite. It was a nice surprise. The room was perfect, great view and comfortable. The drive took five hours so we were beat by the time we got there but did not want to waste time resting. We quickly unloaded our bags and promptly set out to explore Galveston. I had been there before but DH had not. We found two bar stools at Maggie Ritas and met a great bartender who took good care of us. It rained all evening but we didn't care. We were having a blast. We had dinner at Fisherman's Wharf, great food, and then drug ourselves back to the hotel and passed out. The next More morning, we had breakfast at a nice little diner then toured the Strand.

We boarded the ship at 11:30, wide eyed and full of excitement. We had booked an Aft Wrap on deck 6. After seeing photos from Cruise Critic, we were more than excited about the cabin. We got two drinks of the day and found a seat on the Lido Deck to have some lunch and wait for Sail Away.

At 1:30, we were allowed in our room. We were not disappointed. We had ample closet and storage space. We had a table and two chairs plus twin beds which were pushed together when we arrived. We walked out onto our balcony and words are just not enough to describe the space. If you ever have an opportunity to book an aft wrap, don't hesitate. We met the neighbors next door to us and the ones on the other side of them. We became instant friends and had the steward open up the balcony doors between us. We now had an entire 1/2 of the back of the ship to spread out on. We had a great time getting to know our neighbors. We spent a lot of time on that huge balcony.

We had any time dining and ate dinner in the main dining room every night. The food was fair to good but not outstanding. We were not expecting outstanding so it met our expectations. Lots and lots of variety. We tried some things we had never eaten and were pleasantly surprised. We had lunch and breakfast in the dining room and sometimes ate at the buffet. The buffet was good, again, not outstanding but a lot of variety, hot and fresh food. We ate at the specialty restaurant, The Point. We felt we got our money's worth. The food was excellent as well as the service.

It rained the majority of our cruise but it did not dampen our fun. We saw two shows in the main lounge and a comedian in another, spent time on the Lido deck watching people go by and hung out with our new found friends on our balcony. The beds were comfortable and the ship staff accommodating.

I had a spa 1/2 day and had a nice time. I had read that the sales people are very pushy. I did not find them overly aggressive with their sales pitch at all. They did try to sell me products but after politely declining, that was the end of it. The treatments were good and the prices about what I pay in Dallas for similar services. I found them fair and worth the price they charged.

We visited Montego Bay, Jamaica first. We spent our honeymoon in Ocho Rios, Jamaica so I knew what to expect as far as the people go. Although some areas of Jamaica are dangerous, so are some areas of the U.S. You have to watch yourself and be aware of your surroundings just as you do any place else. We did Jungle River Tubing in Jamaica and it was a blast. Highly recommend. We had done Dunn's River Falls on our honeymoon so we wanted something a little different. Again, HIGHLY recommend the Falls. That was a huge adventure.

We swam with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. Everyone told us to try it and we were not sorry we did. If you enjoy snorkeling or have never snorkeled, this is a must see trip.

We spent the day snorkeling and hanging out on a private beach in Cozumel. Another fun day. Much more relaxing and we actually had a little sun.

For a first time cruise, we could not have been more pleased. We met nice people, had good food, an amazing room and experiences we will always cherish. Thanks to Cruise Critic, our trip was that much more enjoyable. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Upper 6452

Amazing balcony, unbelievable view, nice sized cabind with lots of storage space. Being on Deck 6, you do hear noise from the Degas Lounge below you but the last show is at midnight and lasts 30 minutes. If you are early to bed, this cabin may not be right for you. It did not bother us.

Cozumel is in rebuild mode and it showed. The shops were open and I found the prices reasonable. Not overly pushy sales people. I went the the Tequilaria for gifts and found the sales people very, very helpful. I browsed before out excursion and quickly went back when we returned.

Our excursion was fun and entertaining. I was a bit disappointed in the sea life while snorkeling. I have been to Cozumel and snorkeled in some beautiful areas. Not sure if we were taken to the right spots. But overall, a good trip.

Read 3140 Cozumel Reviews

If you like shopping, this is a great place to shop. Be prepared for the prices though. I was shocked to find that we spent $40 on a shrimp basket and six buffalo wings and a coke. No alcohol. The excursion to swim with the stingrays was great. We could not have asked for a better experience.

I gave this port a 3 only because I have seen the port at Ocho Rios. It is much more upscale with a lot more to offer than the one in Montego Bay. I found MoBay a lot more dirty than I expected. Having spent our honeymoon in Ocho Rios, we were not far from the cruise area and visited to check it out. Ocho Rios was much cleaner. We did have a great time on our excursion in MoBay.