Carnival Dream Cruise Review by convertiblegirl: Dream was all I expected and then some

convertiblegirl
Member Since 2010

Embarkation Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Dream was all I expected and then some

Sail Date: November 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I sailed on the Carnival Dream from November 13th thru November 20th. Every year we try and go on a cruise for our anniversary and so far so good we have been doing so. This year we decided to go on the Carnival Dream since it was brand new and we wanted something very nice.

Let's start with embarkation:

I have read quite a few reviews of how quickly this went. I don't know if it was because we were on a "full sailing" but it took about from start to finish an hour to get on-board. We arrived at Port Canaveral at 11:30 and didn't get on the ship until 12:30. They call you by zones to get on the ship as well as off the ship later on if you choose so. You sit in line with a bunch of people and everyone starting mooing like we were a bunch of cattle. lol. Though it is always what you make of the situation and my husband and I had fun right from the start.

1st day of sailing was quite rough. I myself don't get seasick but my husband can be prone More to it and the first night was a little rough for him. I will say the ship was rockin and rollin for sure. People were side stepping everywhere. After the first night is was pretty smooth sailing. We had booked the aft balcony on Deck 9. Loved the room and the balcony. Plenty of closet space, fridge, safe and dryer. Two very nice robes that we used plenty of times to and from the jacuzzis! As far as the shows I would definitely reccomend Dancin in the Streets was awesome and also seen Get Ready which was pretty good. Do check out the comedians they are really funny. The casino is pretty nice though your usual casino but I found it to be a little bigger than on other cruise ships.

We ate in the Scarlett Dining room every night early seating and every morning for breakfast. The food was always good and our wait staff Winnie and Luis were excellent. They were attentive and after the first night knew what we were drinking and were always right there on the money loved them and miss them already lol.

Ordered room service for a pot of coffee everyday and some toast and they were always right on time that I put on the slip. They were right on the ball with everything.

We also ate at the Chef Art's steakhouse. Definitely worth every extra dollar that you pay. My husband and I ate there on our anniversary night and it was exquisite and done up right. We both had the filet mignon and all I can say was it was out of this world. The staff there was also great.

Our room steward was Komin who also took very good care of us and any requests that we made he took care of right away.

Did hit the gathering on the Lido deck for some buffet food but mostly for lunch. Did have the deli sandwich's which the lines weren't too bad considering we were on a full sail. We moved along pretty well and you learn what times are the better times to eat and get right in there.

The infamous smell that everyone talks about is there once in a while and like everyone else says it doesn't ruin your time on the ship.

Make sure you go to the adults only Serenity where they have it all set up for adults with comfortable couch's, clam shell chairs for two and hammocks for two. Great place to just do nothing!

Went on the water slides and they are insane! Definitely not a kiddy ride lol. They whip you down that slide 90 mph I swear. You shoot out into the bowl like a bullet. Enough said.....

Spent time around the pool and enjoyed the usual craziness.

Disembarkation took quite some time though I must say. We decided to leave our luggage out and our zone was number 31. We got into port at 6 am and the self assist with there luggage starting disembarking. According to the "schedule" zone 31 was to disembark between 9:10 and 9:20. We didn't get off the ship until 10:30. But with all those people it really did go pretty good but a little long for my liking.

All in all it was a great fun time and would definitely cruise the dream again. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Vista 9479

Cabin was very spacious and plenty of closet space. Bathroom was very adequate and shower was nice. Bed was very comfortable. A/C could be a little colder. The aft balcony was a very good size. Only complaint really was the only stations you could get were Denver news and traffic. There time zone is different so you couldn't see any prime time shows. No local stations at all and no local weather reports which would really help while you are in port.

Belize City was not what I had expected. It is really nice but quite poverty stricken. In this port we took a tour on a small open air bus through the city. Our tour guide was very informative and I really loved this tour. We booked it right when we got off the ship and again was able to haggle down the price. My husband is very good at that. This tour was worth the price and very informative and I saw houses or should I say shacks that I could not believe that people were living in them.

Costa Maya had the most beautiful water. There my husband and I rented a golf cart though if I were to do it again I would rent the ATV's for this island. They have dirt roads with pot holes worse than the ones I used to run over in New England after a rough winter lol. I will say the golf cart was fun and we did hit some rain there. Actually we got soaked lol. We had so much fun anyway. Lots of shacks here too on prime real estate along the water.

We have been to Cozumel before and it is beautiful. This time we decided to take a horse and buggy ride through the city and downtown. My husband haggled the price and got it down pretty good so don't settle on the first price they throw at you. This was a great way to see Cozumel and quite different from the first time we were there we rented mopeds. This time we let them take us around.

Read 3104 Cozumel Reviews

My husband and I rented a motorcycle from Captain Van's that I had found on the Internet. I would definitely recommend Captain Van's as they took very good care of us. Wilkie was our transportation out to Captain Van's which is a little bit of a ride from the port but he was so good we loved the ride just with him alone. Once we got on the motorcycle we just went riding for hours. Again this is another place that has so much poverty but yet such beautiful countryside. Seen a lot of interesting people and sites. This port like every other port has the shopping right when you get off the ship but they have a brand new port here and it's called Mahoghany Bay and it is absolutely beautiful. There is also a chairlift that brings you over to the beach right outside your ship. I believe it's $10 unlimited trips for the day. Not sure what one ride costs. Brush up on your Spanish it will be a big help.

Read 1645 Roatan Reviews