Disney Wonder Cruise Review by TwoCruiseFans

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 9C
Cabin Number: 2016
See More About: Disney Wonder Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Disney Wonder Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Wonder Deck Plans
Disney Wonder - not if you are an adult
The Disney Wonder is starting to show its age and some of the Disney service is lacking. I travel a lot and do 4 to 5 cruises a year. I had not sailed on Disney since 2001 because I remembered that there is nothing to do at night for adults. This time we were invited by friends so we went along.

The Disney terminal is unique. Its all Disney. We arrived at noon and were expecting to board right away, instead we had to wait until almost 1:45 to board. No big deal but there were people everywhere as the terminal is not design for everyone to wait. Once they started boarding, they delay you even more because they announce every family as you board. Its cute, but no one is listening. It really just delays you more.

We had an oceanview stateroom on deck two. The room was great. Disney has the largest rooms on any ship so there is no competition there. The room was in good repair and everything worked. We dropped off our carry ons and went to lunch at Parrot Cay. At the door there was a crew member from Indonesia who could not understand English. He told us there were no tables available. Before we could turn around, he let in the next family after us. I asked him why he had done that and he said there were no tables. My friends and I went ahead and entered the restaurant as he started to yell at us. We ignored him and saw a head waiter who sat us with no problems. The food was ok, not great, but not bad. After lunch, we explored the ship. The ship is well maintained. The restaurants look ok and the public areas are clean.

At 5:00 the sail away party is on top deck. If you like Disney, this is your thing. The cruise director staff is all British and all they do is sing and dance. They try a few jokes here and there but they all fall flat, guess is the British humor. The characters come out and all the kids and the Disney mega fans go crazy. I am not a great Disney fan, so this doesn't do anything for me, but if you are one of those Disney mega fans, you will be quite comfortable.

We dined at Palo, Animators Palette and Parrot Cay. For all the restaurants the food was just ok. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad. I remembered when Animators Palette was such an innovative concept, when the food reflected the change of colors. Today they don't even try. The selections are just un-inspired. Our servers were very good and really made the difference in our experience.

The entertainment is all Disney all the time. My friends and I spent most of our days at the adult pool. Disney is the only cruise line that does not have cocktail waiters walking around. Entertainment at night is a Toy Story production and Disney Dreams on the last night. I think its time for Disney to change their acts. Disney Dreams is good but it was the same show we saw 10 years ago. They also do a pirate night were everybody dresses up, or down, as pirates. At midnight there is a fireworks show. Its unique but the show consists of the cruise directors staff singing and dancing for 45 minutes, then the character show up and its even more dancing. The show ends as Mickey saves the night. Cute, but it goes on too long.

Castaway Cay, their private island is the best private island of any line. It is a beautiful place with all the comforts you would need. We decided to snorkel but were very surprised that there is no wildlife in the reefs. They have brought lots of things to submerge in their snorkel area, like trucks, submarines and lots of cement reef builders, but nothing has grown there. We went everywhere in the area and saw all the objects, including the underwater Mickey, but no fish or coral. My friends and I almost felt cheated of the money we paid to snorkel. Other than that, the island is great.

Overall, this cruise was just ok, if not a major bore. If you are expecting adult entertainment, this is not the cruise for you. There is no disco, there is no adult music, there really is nothing to do at night if you are an adult. They try but just fall flat; Im sorry but Disney trivia challenge doesn't count with me! If you have kids that like Disney, then this is your line. Is it worth the extra they charge just because its Disney? The answer depends on you. My friends are Disney fans so they were on cloud nine all four days. Myself, I would rather sail on Royal Caribbean or Norwegian, at least they offer a wide variety of entertainment.

Publication Date: 11/28/10