Carnival Valor Cruise Review by Westiefan: We will reconsider Carnival now

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

We will reconsider Carnival now

Sail Date: November 2010

We had an "ok" cruise and were determined to make it as nice as possible. On the positive side, we made it to all our ports, had great excursions, and met some wonderful people. We enjoyed eating in the dining room and it seemed like the only time we didn't have to stand in a line for something. We joked around with the waiter just to get him to smile and we felt he was always tired.

The negatives were the smoke filled halls and public areas, and although we would have loved to dance in the evenings, the only place to do so was the smoke filled casino in the walkway. My husband ended up having an asthma attack about the 3rd night of being there as it was just too much smoke everywhere and it finally built up enough to get him. To get from one end of the ship to the other you have to go through the smoking areas.

Many of the staff seemed burned out or stressed and were mainly polite, but just not very friendly. They did not seem to enjoy their job or be trying very More hard. We did hear a group of staff complaining about the guests and making fun of some of them. One guest went over to them and told them that if they want to insult the guests they needed to make sure there were no guests present to hear them.

The entertainment was mainly Karaoke and comedians. The teen areas were largely unoccupied. They did have some singing and dancing shows on a couple of nights that were really very good. I would say they were much better than the shows I have seen on previous cruises.

I know that Carnival is on the lower end of the scale of cruise ships, but have previously sailed on 2 other Carnival ships. Both of those experiences were so much better that while I would not say positively that I will never sail on Carnival, I am certainly not wanting to even think about using Carnival again at this time. I think I would definitely like to try more of their competitors and hope that this was just an isolated experience. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Balcony Upper

Our cabin was just great and we enjoyed the balcony. We were above one of the many karaoke places and we could hear the entertainment from our cabin very loudly so turned the TV on and up to muffle it. I will be more careful when choosing a cabin the next time I cruise and consider what is above and below much more.

We went cave tubing there and while it wasn't quite the adventure we had in mind, it was really fun and the tour guide we had was great. He told us a lot about Belize during the long drive out to the river and was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions. He was entertaining and genuinely caring.

The ship was very disorganized and although we did exactly what they told us to and when they told us to do it, it took an hour and a half of waiting around to get a tender to take the 30 minute ride to get to Belize. We were told it would be 20 minutes by the Valor people. The number system they have is ridiculous and did not work at all. The staff seemed to care less if people missed their excursions. It was the worst experience ever at getting on a tender and getting to a port we have ever experienced.

We did not take an excursion in Cozumel but did take a taxi to downtown and walked around and did some shopping. There were SO many shops and it seemed to go on and on and on! The weather was perfect that day and we stopped at a little restaurant and had some guacamole and chips and a drink. It was really fun and we had a great day in Cozumel.

Read 3104 Cozumel Reviews

We LOVED the Stingrays and enjoyed the Turtle farm. The boat drivers out to Stingray City were very nice and really went above and beyond to make sure everyone had an opportunity to see the rays and even made a couple of extra stops to show us other things along the way. The tour guide we had was entertaining and gave us a lot of information about the Cayman Islands and we really had a great day there.

We took an excursion that was not through Carnival and the driver was great! He gave us a lot of information about Roatan and took us all around the island. We took a boat ride through the mangroves and they were just beautiful. We also went to the Iguana farm and saw the sanctuary there. It was very sad to see so much poverty there for the residents, but they do have a beautiful island and we had a great time on our excursion there.

Read 1645 Roatan Reviews