Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by phesoj

Cruise Date: October 2010
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 4A
See More About: Carnival Spirit Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

CARNIVAL CONTINUES TO SURPRISE
We feel the things are changing in the cruise industry due to costs and the resulting containment. Right now we are on a three cruise test. It started with the Celebrity Summit in September on a Canada, NE cruise. We have been celeb devotees with 11 cruises but we did have a 4 year absence before this one. unfortunately it was a culinary Titanic.

Step 2 was the Carnival Spirit on October 4 to Mexico for 8 days. Embarkation was almost a disaster in that we forgot our passports. The Carnival people could not have been nicer but they could not let us board but since we are San Diego locals they helped us contact our son who delivered the passports to us.Other than that embarkation was smooth as silk.

The cabin was large I thought for a window cabin and nicely appointed. The cabin steward,Kutek,was super the whole trip.

Dining was a superb experience in many ways. First we have been on board the Spirit twice before and had a favorite table. I asked the Matre'd Fernando if it was possible to get it. He was able to arrange this from the second night on. WOW I have never said this about a Matre"D before

The food was wonderfully prepared with great sauces. The Coq Au Vin, Beef stroganoff and their sauces were super. Had Veal(yes I said VEAL!) parmigiana that was out of this world. Carnival was clever they served Maine (yes MAINE)LOBSTER AND 3 LARGE SHRIMP on the second night. Sure set up a positive mood for the rest of the trip. The soups were the best I have had on a ship with very nice salads that were full size. The table service on by Harleen was terrific.We did not use the buffet much but it was good.

The entertainment was very good and professional. They sure did not skimp on the appearances of the singers and dancers in production shows. We had plenty of activity in using the pool and hot tubs as well as trivia games and craft opportunities. One short fall was the lack of movies on this cruise

The ports were Acapulco, Zihuatanejo and Manzanillo. We have been to all of these before and did not go ashore but took advantage of the ship facilties in stead.I was glad to hear that Carnival will be changing the itinerary to a 9 day to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, La paz and Cabo and will look forward to them on this ship. One thing I should note that was most pleasing Carnival on this cruise does not ask you to change the clock since we only had one time zone change. We just kept using ship time

ALl in all a terrific cruise that leaves me wanting more from Carnival and forsaking my Captains club elite status with Celebrity-Beleive me there was no comparison.

Embarkation was a revelation on the Spirit they again suprised me by allowing those of us who carry our bags on and off to leave first. Hoi;y Crow These people did so many things right it was mind blowing.

Well Step 3 is on December 5 on the Holland Oosterdam and I will report on this after the cruise.

Publication Date: 11/19/10