Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Nuncle: Dream a little Dream...

Nuncle
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Dream a little Dream...

Sail Date: November 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was my 5th cruise with Carnival, so I know what to expect. But I keep coming back, so what I expect always seems to turn out pretty good!

My wife and I sailed with 34 other friends this time around. We were known around the ship as "The Alaska Folks", as our presence was felt all over the place! :)

First off, if you can get the VIP embarkation, do it! The last cruise we took we were elegible for it, but didn't realize it...doh! This time around, we bypassed most everyone in the line and were taken to a cozy, sit-down room with a few other passengers to complete the check in. We bypassed more lines and walked onto the ship within about 15 minutes of arriving at the port...awesome! We had the VIP service due to booking a Suite cabin. Not sure if there's any other way to get it or not (Perk from your travel agent, etc.) So it's cool to be treated "special" like that...but you do have to pay for it ;)

The Dream itself is a nice looking ship. Not as garish More or loud as some of the others. A bit more understated. Luckily, it seems to follow the basic layout of the other Carnival ships, so there's only a couple days of "Which way do I go again?"

Food-wise, it's everything I've come to expect and that you've heard before. The evening dining is always the best. The food is good and varied and the service is prompt and friendly. Some of my favorite times on the ship are the dinner service with all of us at our tables. Breakfast buffet is nothing special. Good, basic food. The omlette bar is not bad, 'tho. Tip- For a smaller selection, but way shorter lines, go to the breakfast buffets that are outside at the rear of the ship. I virtually never had to wait when going back there. Inside...different story :)

Show-wise: If you like Vegas-style shows, you'll like these! If you think that sort of show is Cheesy...bring some crackers ;) The shows are well done for the most part. The dancers are quite talented...but not the Rockettes. There are always a few "in sync" issues between the dancers on every cruise I've been. But it's not noticable unless you're looking for it. The shows were enjoyable, although I wasn't as impressed with the "Tribute to Country Music" show...didn't seem to mesh too well with the glitzy, Vegas style, in my opinion, of course...

The regular guest shows are here, as well. The Hairy Chest competition (A crowd favorite) in which two of our group compeated) and the Carnival Legends show on the final night...in which three of our group starred...including Yours Truly! :) *Elton John, eat your heart out...heh heh!*

Stephanie, who is one of the entertainment staff on the ship, was Awesome! She was the leader of the White team (A competition between passengers over the course of the cruise) and led us to a crushing victory! She also organized a private musical theatre sing-along with the host of the piano bar, which was a lot of fun!

The Waterworks area is a lot of fun! The longest waterslide at sea! There's two; one is a long, "regular" slide and the other is shorter, but much faster and sends you shooting out of a tube into a circular bowl before coming to a stop! There's also a dual racing slide, 'tho it's too short to get a good speed going. There's also a very small slide for the little ones.

I'll discuss the ports of call and our room below. But otherwise, the Dream is a nice ship and worthy of your consideration! Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Suite Empress 7348

This cabin (Ocean Suite 7348) was pretty good! Deck 7 seems to be a good choice. it was above the Jacuzzi's on deck five, but the noise was never really an issue. High enough to get a good view from outside and low enough to get a good view of the docks when coming into port. The cabin was as expected with this category. Roomy enough to move around in and plenty of closet/dresser space to store all of our clothes and luggage. The only complaint is (as always on Carnival), not enough outlets available for use. One in the main room and one in the vanity area and one in the bathroom. Be advised to bring a power strip if you're like my wife who has curling irons and flat irons and the like. *secret* There's also another outlet where the TV is plugged in! :) Just remove the wooden panel that you see the TV cord enter and there it is! 'Tho you'll most likely need an extension cord to make use of it *secret*

The weather in Nassau was not very good when we arrived. Which was a bummer because that was the port we'd decided was going to be our beach port. So no beach for us. We went to the Pirate museum, which has more in the way of diorama-like displays than actual pirate memorabilia, but was still interesting. Some of our friends went to visit the Atlantis resort. They said it was a very cool place. The only issue was, doing research before the cruise, it seemed that any ship excursions do not let you travel anywhere you like in Atlantis, only in specified areas. This is also the shortest port, time-wise. About five hours; not a lot of time to browse around by the time you get off the ship and make your way inland.

Read 2645 Nassau Reviews

St. Maarten was a nice place. My wife and I did a horseback beach riding excursion that she really loved! We rode a circular trail that ended with a short ride into the surf. 'tho the waves were higher than normal so we didn't go too far into the water at all. It was still a fun ride however :) Afterwards we took a island tour with one of the companies that offer such things. Our guide wasn't very lively, however. We got a better tour from the driver that took us to our horse ride, as about a third of both trips travelled the same course. But our guided tour did take us down to the harbor past some of the rich, super yachts that were anchored there. We also drove past the short beach at the end of the airport. From there, landing planes seem to come right at you as they approach. And when they take off, the back draft has been known to bowl people over...and even cars sometimes! Go to You Tube and do a search for "Maho Beach" and you'll see what I mean! :) We ended our tour at Orient Beach, the most popular beach there. Nice sand and warm water. And, if you're a adult, there's plenty of European style bathing in evidence...However, be warned, if you have kids this beach is right next to the Nudist Resort and sometimes there's some overlap. If that's a concern to you, another beach might be wise. There were no nude people on Orient beach, but there were topless folks when I was there... As a side note, the traffic on this island was the busiest of any of the ports. Keep that in mind when travelling; getting anywhere takes longer than you might realize. But all in all, St. Maarten was a lovely place and worth visiting again, I think!

Again, the weather was not good here. But that didn't matter as much to me this time as I spent lot's of it under water. :) I booked a two tank scuba dive here. My first dive since getting certified back in February. I was a little nervous at first, but it was pretty easy and I had a blast! We dove at Buck island and explored a shipwreck that was in three pieces. We saw many fish, two Morey Eels and a huge stingray, with about a five foot wingspan! She was feeling lazy, however and wasn't in a mood to swim away from us :) Coming back from the dive the weather was pretty stormy. I felt bad for the people I saw who were just leaving to go on their catamaran excursions... So, even 'tho I didn't do much in the city of St Thomas, it was still the best port for me! :)

Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews