Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Tweeney18: An Epic time for the most part

Tweeney18
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

An Epic time for the most part

Sail Date: November 2010

To start with:

My wife and I are both in our 40's and we have been on 6 cruises before this one. We drove from Texas to Miami this time instead of flying to advoid bag fee's for checked bags.

Embarkation:

The night before the cruise we received a call from NCL letting us know that the ship would be late getting in. Since we were driving this wasn't a concern. When we arrived in Miami we parked at the airport and paid $40 for the week and $24 for a cab to the terminal. At the port it's $20 a day to park.

At the airport we learned that the ship got in much sooner than they thought. We arrived at the cruise terminal at 2pm and were on board 15 min's later. It was the fastest embarkation ever. A++.

The Trip:

There is so much to see and do on this ship that you may not do everything in 1 week. We did the rock wall and all the slides. Green is the best and fastest. We bought some art for our grand-daughter. We saw the Blueman Group, Howl More at the moon, the circus, and Legend's. Everything was fantastic. If you are a family traveling together this is the ship to book. No one will ever get bored trust me.

Food:

We only ate in the main dinning rooms. The food was good for the most part. There wasn't anything to complain about but it wasn't knock your socks off either. I really loved the hamburger and fries in the pub though and my wife liked the fish and chips.

Ship:

The ship is big and we felt it lived up to its name. It took a few days to figure out where things were. At first we didn't care for this. One night I even told my wife I didn't think we'd ever pick this ship again but then a few minutes later I told her that if we sailed with the family this would be the ship to do it on. Its funny how you can feel that way about the Epic. There are many things really good about her but there are also several things that need improvement. 1. The smoke is horrible. You can miss it it but it takes a while to figure out how. My wife has COPD and she really had a hard time with it. 2. The pools could have been bigger. This isn't normally a big deal for us but we had 4 sea days so it became an issue. We didn't get to go to Nassau because of the high winds and rough seas.

Cabin:

The cabin was fine. We had an aft facing balcony that was plenty big for the two of us. The sink we never a problem. It splashed a little but nothing to bad. The first thing we did was turn it on full blast to see what happened and were disappointed when nothing did. Shower door was never a problem. When you have the curtain opened it only looks like a shadow in there. No big deal. The bed was OK, a bit hard for me but others might like that.

Overall:

we had a wonderful time. A cruise is totally what you make it. If you do nothing and have a terrible time its only your own fault. My wife and I had a great time. We met several wonderful people. The crew was friendly and always on top of things. We never met any crew members who weren't smiling and asking how we were doing. NCL has always been good at this and the Epic didn't disappoint. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Family Balcony Stateroom Deck 14 9297

We had an aft facing balcony (9297). It was in a wonderful location and offered fantastic views and a fine place to get away from everyone and everything. The closets were plenty big and there was more than enough storage.