Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by LisaH: Oasis of the Seas (November 6-13, 2010)

LisaH
Member Since 2001
2,977 Posts

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Oasis of the Seas (November 6-13, 2010)

Sail Date: November 2010

Oasis of the Seas

November 6-13, 2010 (itin done in reverse order due to Hurricane Tomas)

Eastern Caribbean

Ports

•St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Nassau

•Ages: 51 and 59 - no kids. We cruised to celebrate my mom's 75th birthday

•Cabin: 9192 - D1 Balcony

Overall this was a GREAT cruise. The ship is awesome - nothing like I have ever seen before. I will evaluate category by category. I will not review the ports as they have been reviewed many times. This cruise was for the ship and it did not disappoint. I would recommend the ship to anyone. Embarkation and disembarkation were the fastest and most efficient we have ever experienced. We used luggage valet and I would highly recommend this. It is well worth the $20 per person.

The layout was a bit weird. The closet was next to the bed which made it hard to get into the closet and it had to be one person at a time - no room for two. The other item that More has been discussed is the placement of the electrical outlets - absolutely ridiculous. You have to practically be a contortionist to get to the ones under the mirror by the balcony door. I am not sure how elderly people get to them, especially people with bad knees or a bad back. There are ZERO outlets in the bathroom. I also found the cabin seemed to be narrow in comparison to the Jewel D1 balcony cabins. But that may not be the case.

Other than that, the cabin was fine. It was very quiet and in a great location. My parents had a mini-suite on Deck 7 - 242 to be specific. It was terrific...would recommend that if you can afford the extra bucks. Due to a flood on the previous cruise they had new carpet, bedding and some furniture I believe. Rumor was a broken water pipe. Supposedly it is on You Tube.

Food

Very mediocre. We were surprised by this but it did not make or break the cruise. The service in the dining room was also mediocre. We always had to ask for more water, rolls, wine, etc.

The food was really disappointing in the dining room as far as choices went. Also the Windjammer was not up to par when compared to the Jewel of the Seas. Same for dining room food. JOS had much better food.

Also room service (standard) coffee was simply terrible. So we paid for Starbucks at Cafe Promenade or Mondo Cafe. Also half and half were almost impossible to come by other than at Mondos.

Our Favorite Area

Solarium, hands down. It was nice and quiet, comfy chairs and covered. We made friends with Luis and Natalie at the Solarium Bar. They were a lot of fun. The Solarium Bistro also had healthier food choices and we enjoyed this venue a lot.

We also really enjoyed Cafe Promenade which is open 24 hours. The small sandwiches are really good and the cookies were fabulous.

Gym

I worked out every day and also used the jogging track. This ship had the best gym of any ship we have been on. Ditto on the jogging track. The gym was never overly crowded and there is plenty of cardio equipment.

Shops on Royal Promenade

Very disappointing as far as RCCL logo items go. Not many choices and underwhelming. The other shops were just so-so in variety and just nothing to write home about.

Pool Area

We were not out at the pool at all believe it or not. The weather was not great and we decided we liked the solarium more for this trip.

We saw Hairspray, Frozen in Time and Come Fly With Me. All were simply spectacular and I can say this is the best entertainment we have seen on any of our cruises. Aqua Show was cancelled one night and the reschedule was not convenient so we did not see this show but I heard it was great.

Cruise Director

Allan Brooks - not our favorite and this was a bit disappointing but not a big deal. He was just not that funny and the only time we ever saw him was on television. It is a big ship so it is hard to be everywhere. He did close the shows at night and was funnier then.

Please feel free to email me at lisa.hudson@hp.com if you want more specific or additional information. I am happy to share.

Overall I would give this cruise 8 out of 10 stars. Would I do Oasis again, probably not but that has nothing to do with anything other than we did it once, and don't need to do it again. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Large Balcony Deck 6 9192

The layout was a bit weird. The closet was next to the bed which made it hard to get into the closet and it had to be one person at a time - no room for two. The other item that has been discussed is the placement of the electrical outlets - absolutely ridiculous. You have to practically be a contortionist to get to the ones under the mirror by the balcony door. I am not sure how elderly people get to them, especially people with bad knees or a bad back. There are ZERO outlets in the bathroom. I also found the cabin seemed to be narrow in comparison to the Jewel D1 balcony cabins. But that may not be the case. Other than that, the cabin was fine. It was very quiet and in a great location. My parents had a mini-suite on Deck 7 - 242 to be specific. It was terrificwould recommend that if you can afford the extra bucks. Due to a flood on the previous cruise they had new carpet, bedding and some furniture I believe. Rumor was a broken water pipe. Supposedly it is on You Tube.