Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Danette Aiuto: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Eastern Caribbean

Danette Aiuto
0 Post

Service Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: November 2004
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

My husband and I have been on many cruises and booked this one a year ago after hearing all of the hype about the Queen Mary 2. We were going to be celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary and wanted to do something special. Originally we were thinking of going to Europe and taking a Mediterranean cruise, but we decided this would be a great opportunity. We were so excited about this trip and believed it would be the ultimate cruise experience. We expected impeccable service and the best of everything. We were sadly disappointed because this ship did not offer anything more than the other ships we have been on. In fact, we seemed to have gotten a lot less for a whole lot more money.

The room service menu is very limited. If you choose not to eat in the dining room, you are only left with the Kings Court on Deck 7 which is a glorified employee's cafeteria. I didn't pay all of that money to walk around carrying a tray. This area is turned into four specialty restaurants by More night, with the buffet areas used for salads and appetizers. The food in the dining room was okay - again nothing out of the ordinary. I didn't like anything on the menu the first two nights and finally had to ask if I could get a steak instead. The waiter had to call over the assistant manager in order to get approval. The staff all seemed not to be very organized. We finally had lobster after almost nine days at sea!

There was one band on board for the entire 10 days. It almost became comical because they were in the disco, in the Queen's Room, in the indoor pool area for the sailing party - they must have been exhausted! The production shows were good, but other than that there was not much to do. There were many lecturers on board, but who wants to hear about preventing heart attacks while on vacation. Poolside was very boring and dull.

Mostly all of the other passengers that I spoke to felt the same way. I expressed some of these impressions to the Maitre'D during a conversation at dinner one night. He told me that I was not on a cruise ship but a "luxury liner" that was built to do transatlantic voyages not cruises to the Caribbean. Well, then why was this particular cruise marketed as such? Or the next two cruises? He then insulted me further by saying that Cunard had to lower the dress code to only 3 formal nights, 4 informal nights, and 3 casual nights for these cruises.

I didn't like the division of the classes. If you pay for a suite, you are entitled to the Princess or Queen's Grill restaurants. I only had an eleventh floor balcony - I guess that is considered steerage.

The cruise director Brian was good, and we enjoyed visiting the islands. The ship cannot go into port, so you have to use tenders which can be rocky and take time.

I would not recommend this ship. We could have taken two cruises with what it cost for this one. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>