Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by bozgriff: Epic Wheelchair Passenger

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Epic Wheelchair Passenger

Sail Date: August 2010

We picked the Epic as my partner is in a wheelchair and we thought a new ship would be very wheelchair friendly. We only really had the Caribbean cruise to pick from as this is mainly where the Epic goes and no ports there are tendered. If they where we would not of been able to get off.

The ship was lovely and our wheelchair room was nice. All the other cabins were extremely small.

Movement around the ship was ok. The sun deck was difficult to move around and was often full so we couldn't get a spot to sun bathe.

I would like to say we had a great time but two things ruined it and we would never return.

We were unable to do any shore excursion as NOT ONE was wheel chair friendly!

this was extremely upsetting because we travelled so far to do this cruise and were left to just wander around the ports. This wasn't easy on the poor paths and in fact when we returned to the ship after one port my partner had lost one screw from his wheel. The More wheel was falling off and this made him completely immobile. We rang for assistance. None came so I rang again. I was told they could not help us as they are not allowed. Couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked to speak to the captain. They sent a duty manager who also said they couldn't help. I then demanded to see the caption and as we were now stuck in our room and my partner stuck in bed I wanted them to fly us home immediately. This tantrum got us the one small screw we needed and all was fixed in seconds. So simple!! We then got to speak to the second in charge. He tried to explain that policy stated they can't help because if it went wrong we may sue. What a joke.

The next joke was when we went to a talk on Shopping in Ports. We thought this would give us hints on shopping. Was surprised us that the talk was 90% about diamonds. Well i was convinced, the speaker said diamonds brought in Mexico were at least 50 to 70% cheaper than anywhere else. It took him an hour to explain why. I believed him and set out to get my self a bargin. I spent a lot of money on a ring and was horrified when I got home and had it valved. I had saved $500, not $1000's as I was lead to believe as the ring was not cheap.

I wrote back to complain and first was completely brushed off. This man told a whole room a complete pack of lines and NCL were not interested. Or they weren't until I mentioned my lawyers name. Then I quickly received a small refund.

As I said we travelled a long way to get to the cruise and spent as much getting there as we did on the cruise. Communication before and after the cruise was shocking. We are not from USA but did expect some confirmation of our booking. We did not even get our labels for the suitcases. Once they received our money we lost contact.

Nice Ship but beware of their lies and beware if you have any problems while on board!! Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>