Carnival Valor Cruise Review by kassimer1: The ups and downs of our family cruise on Valor

kassimer1
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

The ups and downs of our family cruise on Valor

Sail Date: June 2010

This was only our second cruise and this is my first review so it may or may not be helpful. Our last cruise was also a carnival cruise on truimph. We are a family of 3. I also tried to put in one thing I learned since new cruiser like me would be also reading this.

Hotel: We booked at the hampton in down town Miami thru Hotels.com. We were told it came with a free transfer to the port. Not true. We had to pay for the transfer. The hotel staff was really nice and they upgraded us to a suite since we were miss informed by Hotels.com. This was really nice of them since it wasn't their fault. The suite was awesome and they have the most comfortable mattress I have ever had in a hotel room. We both have back problems and hate to sleep any other bed than our own, but I wished we could have taken the bed on the cruise with us. The suite had a full kitchen and a small dining area. There is a supermarket right across the street and a burger king and drug store too.

LEARNED More FACT: always call the hotel directly to make sure that everything that is on a discount booking site is really true.

Ship Info: The port was a little congested. It took about 1 hour to get all the way thru to board the ship. We did see people with cases of soda and water that got thru fine. One guy had about 7 cases. The ship was beautiful.

State room: We were supposed to have an inside cabin on the lower floor. ( by choice) But they moved us to one on the 6th floor right above the stage to the lounge. This was a horrible spot. The first night they had Karaoke there. Needless to say you can not sleep when people that think they can sing are squealing like a cat right below your bed. We went to Guest services and complained. They did not have any other rooms available on that night but 2 nights later after someone didn't board at the first stop we were given their room. It was a balcony. I can see why most people prefer a balcony. It was roomier and instead of a bunk bed for our son he had a sofa bed. He liked that a lot. The mattresses were OK. not as good as the ones at the hotel , but not horrible either.

LEARNED FACT: Get a guaranteed room if you want to be able to sleep well.

Activities: We went to a few of the trivia games they had on the boat. The were a fun way to pass the day. We did not go in the pool. the main thing I don't like about carnival's pools is that the water is salt water. I know a lot of people like this. We did use the hot tubs a few times. Due to the lack of sleep the first 2 nights I choose to skip the shows once I got a quiet room for a few nights and catch up on sleep for early excursions.

LEARNED FACT: If you don't like smoke don't go to the family trivia game in the cigar bar. Even during the day there was smoke. Smokers not picking on you, it is the cigar lounge. I just think carnival should not put family activities there. Also, the casino was horrible to walk thru to get to where you wanted to go. There was so much smoke we had to find other ways thru or hold our breath and run for air. Son has asthma. The kids club is on the same floor.

Children's clubs: DS is 15 and so he could come and go as he liked in the teen area. He actually was not impressed with the teen lounge. He spent most of his time at the arcade or the jogging track. He said it was boring all they wanted to do was sit around and talk. He did sneak into the 12-14 yr old group and joined those activities. He had more fun with this group than his own. He had only just turned 15 so maybe he wasn't ready for the next group?

LEARNED FACT: Carnival needs to join the times and get pagers or phones that only work on the boat that parents can rent. The night we changed rooms we could not find DS to tell him, I had no idea the happening place was the jogging track. So I had to sit in the old noisy room til he came back. I know other cruise lines have this capability why can't carnival?

Dining: We ate in the main dining room all but the last night. We had the late seating and sat at a table with 2 other families. The kids all got along really well. The food was excellent and the staff was very on top of things. The pizza on the pizza parlor was a bit cardboard like. The buffets were also very good tasting. My son was so excited about the burrito bar but after the first time he said it wasn't as good as he thought it would be and he never went back. We did not do any specialty restaurants. Room service for breakfast was very good and prompt.

LEARNED FACT: You can order a sandwich with room service ahead of time and keep it in your mini fridge so hungry teen with the midnight munchies doesn't have to leave the room or make a call when others are trying to sleep. Bring ziploc baggies with you.

Service:The steward was very nice and helpful. The dining room staff were great. I drink about 4 glasses of water at dinner and only 1 night was I waiting for fresh water. Customer service desk personnel were very professional even when we say a very irate woman cuss them out. Since they found me a quieter room the saved me from being sleep deprived.

The medical staff on the other hand were incompetent and rude. This is long so if you want to skip it you can. DS fell on the 2nd to last day. He was alone with another 15 yr old and they were in a lounge during the day. He hit his head, fell down and doesn't remember anything until the other boy sat him up. The other boy did not see it happen. Head wound + memory loss = possibly passed out/posible concussion. The other 15 yr old called down to the infirmary and the nurse said she could not come right now and could the other 15 yr old hold pressure on my son's head wound. I understand that she may have been busy with another patient, but why she could not have called another ADULT employee to assist until she was free??? The other boy panicked and that is when he sat my son up and took him thru the ship to the elevator and to the infirmary. I am sure since he was covered in blood all they way to his shoes that other employees had to have seen him and did not offer any help. They paged us and once we arrived in the infirmary we were informed that he needed stitches. I asked DS what happened and he said he couldn't remember. So I said to the nurse that he may have passed out and she said "no he didn't." Since neither of use were there to verify that he didn't pass out they should treat it like he did. After working 18 years in the emergency room as a registered respiratory therapist that has to respond to every trauma in the hospital and being pediatric advanced life support certified I think I do have a little experience with these things. She became rude after I insisted again that there is a possibility that he passed out. DS then said "I started to black out in the elevator" She yelled at him that he did not and that it was blood in his eyes.

The Doctor was not any better when he came in and I mentioned it to him. I also said that we had the travel medical insurance in case they needed to do more tests or ship him off the boat. The nurse then tried to get me to leave the room. I was not yelling or threatening them so why make me leave? I refused stating he was under age and I was not leaving. She then rudely said go stand at the bottom of the stretcher. I promptly did. I know not to get in the way. DS had a headache for 1 1/2 weeks and was very drowsy after the accident. He slept for 4 hours with me waking him every hour to see if he was OK. Good thing I knew to do this since they never mentioned it. Oh and they wouldn't even give antibiotic cream for the wound. Luckily I had some but I wasn't sure if I had enough. If we would have been on land I would have walked right out of there and found competent help. I wrote a letter to Carnival and when they finally replied it was sorry they should have been more sympathetic. I did not meed sympathy I need GOOD medical care for my child. They also said they would look into it and let me know. it has been 5 months. I guess they really don't care.

Learned fact: Go on CC and ask about the medical care before booking.

Embarkation: This went a lot better for us than last time we cruised. I think because we did not go straight down there bit waited till it slacked off a bit.

Summery: Overall it was a wonderful cruise. If DS would not have need medical care i would have rated it better. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Interior Riviera

this was a really great port. We decided to Book an excursion on our own. We used cave-tubing.com. for 75$ we went for an ATV ride thru the rain forest. They even let DS drive one even though the site said 16 yrs old. The 3 of us had our own tour guide. I was not very good at the ATV and the guide had to push me out of a few stuck spots. The guide was the best. Then we boarded the bus again and was driven to the river area for cave tubing. We were not the only company there but I noticed that we had the newer larger tubes like you find in the states at water parks and not the black rubber ones the others had. This was good since I am 270 lbs and fit comfortable. There is a 30 minute walk to the river on large stones (golf ball size) We had water shoes on and the stones hurt my feet. If i ever do this again i am going to wear and old pair of sneakers. DH has a bad heart so we were unable to keep up with everyone else, but our tour guide said no problem. He carried our tubes and broke away from the rest to walk at our pace. even stopping when DH needed to catch his breath. Floating down the river thru the caves you are linked together with your feet. since it was only the 3 of use it was not bad. After the tubing we went back to where the ATVs were for a delicious hot lunch. We did hot have to pay until after the tour. If you were not satisfied you don't have to pay. They were so wonderful that i gave a big tip to thank for the individualized attention. LEARNED FACT: Cave-tubing.com is the best!

We did the ship excursion for Xcaret. This is an ecological park. It has a little of something for everyone. It has animals, a boat ride, Mayan ruins, Mayan dancers, Beach, Snorkel area, it is so big we did not get to see every thing. But my favorite was an almost mile long lazy river . You put on life jackets and float leisurely along a canyon. every once in a while the wall will break away and you will see ruins, deer, Shack, and you go under the mountain and there is a huge cavern with the biggest stained glass roof I have ever seen. You do not have to do the whole thing. there are placed for you to get out if you want. It was so cool and relaxing.

LEARNED FACT: Don't miss the time to get back on the bus. Even though this was a ship tour we left 2 people behind. The tour bus waited for them and searched near the entrance but they couldn't find them. So they left them. I have no idea if they made it back to the boat. the boat left on time.

Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

Our first stop was Grand Cayman. We did the shop excursion Turtles, turtles and more turtles deluxe. The first part of the tour was educational and you got to pick up and hold yearling turtles. I enjoyed this part alot and got a few good pictures. There are also alot of iguanas around that you could get very close to. Bad part was it was so hot and you couldn't go ahead to the awesome pool until the tour was over. The pool was huge and had a glass window you could look into the shark tank if you went under water. There was bench seats in the water around the edge that was so relaxing. after this we had a lunch of hamburgers, fries and a drink. this was included. Then we went to the lagoon and snorkeled with the fish and turtles. Make sure to have water shoes the lagoon is man made and slippery. The water got very deep but they give you a life jacket. After the educational part of the tour you are on your own to do the pool or the lagoon. LEARNED FACT: Bring your own snorkel to any snorkel excursion. A dry snorkel has a valve at the top so water won't get in if you accidentally go under to far and you know whose mouth has been on it.

We decided to just hang out at the port in the new mahogany bay for this excursion. The area looks very nice. There are shops and a restaurant. We decided to check out the shops first. The air conditioning was lovely. After the shops we tool the ski lift over to the beach area. It was a nice scenic ride. I know this is nature but once you went into the water and got to about knee deep the bottom was all sea grass. It was really disgusting and about 1 -2 foot tall. You would think that after spending all that money they would have gotten a good beach. Now this was in June and i don't know if there is a season for the grass. So we rented a floating lounger and DS and I laid across it horizontally and snorkeled this way. Good thing too because we saw a 5 foot long sea snake on the bottom in the grass! don't want to step on it!!! There is a restaurant at the beach. The service was terribly slow and the food was cold and hard. When your teen son doesn't eat you know its bad. LEARNED FACT: stay out of the water at Mahogany bay !!!

Read 1642 Roatan Reviews