Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by chione

Cruise Date: September 2010
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 1B
See More About: Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Eclipse Western Med & Adriatic Coastline
We've been Celebrity cruisers for the majority of our 24 cruises (14 Celebrity) and find they do many extras that other lines in their catgory don't. This was our second cruise on the the Solstice series ships the Solstice was the first and now the Eclipse. The service as always was super and the food in the 16 days the menu never repeated itself. The meals were with enough variety and embarking form England the meat was American(less chewing corn fed than grass fed ). Last year we left from the same port on the Independence of the Seas and RCL couldn't get close to quality of the food that was Celebrity. Even the Maiderdee told me that Celebrity food was better than RCL. The ports we went to started with Seville,Spain, Sardinia,Italy, Split ,Croatia, Venice, Italy, Dubrovnik,Croatia,Sicily,Italy,Malaga,Spain and return to Southampton. We had been to three of these ports before ( Sardinia,Venice,Malaga ). The other ports were very interesting especially Dubrovinik,Croatia. We couldn't get in Split because of weather very rough and they closed the port.

I've never found a complaint that was worth writing about. However on this ship I have to say it was the worst entertainment I've seen on 24 cruises. Now I am speaking from an American point of view . Many of the English found the entertainment good but from my understanding from their point of humor (my wife is English) they laughed at the stupidity of the shows. Something new to me! I know some cruise entertainment leaves a lot to be desired but this was below any I've seen. It was also one of the most expensive cruises by anyone we spoke to and I booked about 9 months in advance and was told it went up quite a lot since I booked.

I also must let you know when you book on a Solstice class ship in the category we were in make sure you have the bes away from the balcony . It will give you more usable space. We had the same class cabin on the Solstice and it was spacious. This cabin was the same sq ft but the bed was by the balcony. There is a useless couch that is the put by a closet which cuts down the usable area . I spoke to the person in charge of cabins and they said its how the cabin is configured that reduces the area based on the placing of the bed. All I can tell you that the same cabin on the Solstice was not tight than the Eclpise. The open buffet area is the best idea I've seen on any cruise. No lines a variety of stations to please anyone's taste. No trays to put a little of whatever, this new buffet system is great for breakfast or lunch.Hope this little review helps those future Eclipse cruisers.

Publication Date: 11/14/10