Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Lesley Chard

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Lesley Chard
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: Lesley Chard
Cruise Date: November 2010
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: D5
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

not what we expected
I am not normally one to complain but the experience we have just had on the Queen Mary 2 beggar's belief. It was a comedy of error from the start.

We decided to take the taster cruise on the Queen Mary 2 with the intention, if we enjoyed it, to book a cruise to New York the early part of next year.

We arrived on ship without any greeting; we were just told "turn left to the elevators". It was not explained where our rooms could be found or which restaurants would be open for refreshments. We had been travelling and waiting for a long time. On previous cruises with Royal Caribbean. We were greeted on arrival. It was explained how to get to our rooms and which restaurants were open for our convience. With Cunard we were just left to sort ourselves out.

At dinner on our first evening the food was cold and our wine arrived near the end of our second course, and that was only because I asked where it was. The reason we were given was that there was only one wine waiter on and they were very busy.

Breakfast the next morning: - we received our coffee, pastry and fruit. When we finished it was cleared. We waited and waited, about half an hour, eventually a waiter stopped and asked what we had ordered as our order had been lost. They apologised and said they were very busy.

We decided to go for afternoon tea in the Queens Room. After queuing for ages, we were seated, offered tea quite quickly, eventually offered a small selection of cakes as they had run out of scones and tartlets, as they were busy !!! never had sight of any sandwiches

On disenbarkment, there again, no direction as to what was to happen. The first we knew about collection of cases, the evening before departure, was when the porter knocked on the door for collection, we were just leaving for dinner. We had to come back after dinner and pack, not what we were expecting to do on our last night. If we had been told we would have packed before dinner.

We were given no information on time of departure. I called the pursers office for this information, after eventually getting through.

I have just highlighted some of the issues but the general feeling was that it was a cruise that had been fitted in between longer cruises, with little staff and little facilities. I was looking forward to the Planetarium.

The staff were doing their best and this is not a reflection on them, in fact my heart went out to them as they were in the firing line and I know there was a lot of unhappy people on board. It was a standard joke that the company had been renamed 'Queuenard' as we had to queue for everything.

After cruising with Royal Caribbean, which I have to say you could learn a great deal from, I was expecting even better from you as I believed that the Cunard ships were the best. I truly struggle to rate it above a 3*

The Queen Mary 2 let down the Cunard line but most of all it let down its guests, that in good faith paid good money for a standard of cruising they did not receive.

Publication Date: 11/12/10