“I Like My Raviola Aldente, Not Burnt!”
Cruise review of Norwegian Dawn

Jerry of San Francisco Norwegian Dawn 2 I Like My Raviola Aldente, Not Burnt!
Jerry of San Francisco
Member Since 2009
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was my first cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines. The Dawn was a nice ship when new, but is showing a lot of wear - signes at the elevators worn as not to be readable, indicator lights over the elevator broken and more.

One evening I had supper in the main dining room and ordered raviola - it came to the table with big brown burn spots on them with an overcooked sauce. I had to ask the waiter twice to take it away. The second plate of raviola had only one burnt spot with a sauce that had a dry film on top! Astonishing. I'm used to bad food on cruise ships, but this was the ultimate bad experience.

Not only was that evening bad food, but untrained service. The waiter kept putting his arm in my face to pour water. Finally, thoroughly annoyed, I stopped him and told him to move to my right side to remove an empty plate. My cabin card was surrended to pay for my wine and not returned till I asked the manager for it. The dining room manager did not seem to care about any of my complaints.

There are two main dining rooms that are free. We soon realized that the menu was the same for both dining rooms.

We did not try the alternate dining rooms as my friend is thrifty and would not pay the surcharge, so I cannot comment on them. He enjoyed all of his meals except one in the main dining room. If you have midwest tastes like my friend you will probably be happy with the food. If you like haute cusine this is not the cruise for you.

Except for aa apple bread pudding the desserts were all without much flavor.

The cabin was small, but efficient. It took me a couple of days to get used to the confined space.

Our cabin boy did not introduce himself and we met him only on the 3rd day when we made a request for a missing item in the bathroom. Actually it was nice to not have the cabin boy at our door all the time. We liked the system that uses a dial outside the door to indicate our service needs and privacy.

Norwegian Dawn Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Inside

IF4553
Quiet corner cabin near the elevator. The elevator was not used often so it was not as crowded as the others on the ship. Convenient to the theater. We did hear our neighbors television at times.

Port
The town is about 1 miles from the dock. I walked into town. After being hassled by people trying to get me a taxi, begging and some hotile encounters, I turned back to the ship after only going 3 blocks. I'm told this is a high crime island. Like many Caribbean islands poverty is apparent.

Read 998 Barbados Reviews
Port
I took a tour of the Fire & Brimstone Fort, which is about 22 miles outside of town. I recommend the tour as the view from the mountain is wonderful and the fort is an amazing structure.

Read 1,042 St. Kitts Reviews
One of the wonders of the world, the trip to the Baths of Virgin Gordo are a must. Hugh granite boulders frame the beaches. The trip through one field of rocks is a challenge with climbing on ladders and ropes to get to Devils Bay. Nice sand beaches.

Published 11/11/10
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Dawn Review
Norwegian Dawn Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?