Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Luv4Lido: Farewell Conquest

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Farewell Conquest

Sail Date: October 2010
Embarkation: Galveston

Around this time of year people who have never cruised or have only cruised a few times will attempt to frighten those who are sailing with warnings of hurricanes, tropical storms, and other such nightmarish tales. With one exception, all of my sailings have taken place in the Fall/Winter months and, while some have been a bit rocky, none have been an issue once on board. My most recent sailing of the Conquest, 10/24/10, was no exception. Threatened with possible bad weather brewing in the seas, we set sail on the smoothest cruise I've ever sailed. Pulling away from Cozumel was a bit rocky but otherwise the sailing was as smooth as glass. We didn't even feel the gentle rocking of the ship while going to sleep...something, I admit, I did miss.

A Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle was scheduled on board. It was fun to meet those we've chatted with on the Cruise Critic thread and put faces to the posts. Funny how you can form an image of someone from reading their postings. I've More yet to be right about any of them! Once we knew the faces, we could chat with them when we ran into them around the ship. All are wonderful people and I hope to meet them again.

Carnival now has the dedicated comedy lounge. LOVE IT! A total of 4 comedians were on board during the sailing. Each comedian did a total of 5 shows (both PG and R rated) over 2 days, with duplicate routines for each rated show, which made it easy to catch at least one of the acts.

I would like to see the Guest Talent Show, with private auditions, return. With the Karaoke audience voting, the Legends show is more a popularity contest than a true show of talent or even likeness.

We chose MyTime Dining. We were assigned the dining room but were able to go to dinner when we chose (between 5:45 and 9:45, I believe). It worked well for the two of us but I wouldn't recommend it for a large group. We like meeting new people so we asked to be seated with others and they were very accommodating.

This was a Halloween cruise with themed events and a costume contest. There were some awesome costumes worn by the passengers. Many guests were not aware of the costume party but were very creative and made one from what they could find.

One issue I've found with all sailings is that only a select few guests know, prior to sailing, about special events happening on board (ie: contests, mardi gras, etc). Many guests have been disappointed that they didn't know about these plans while other guests did. I would like to see Carnival (and all other cruise lines) create an events schedule for each sailing and issue the schedule to all guests at the time of their final payment.

Overall, it was a good cruise. Lots of very nice and interesting people. Someone did steal the sign we used to decorate the door. It came from the Dollar Store so no biggy...it's just the idea! There's gotta be one kill-joy in every crowd! Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Interior Empress 7403

7403 is located just off one set of elevators, which is very nice. However, it's a LONG walk down the narrow hall to either of the other two sets of elevators. The dining room assigned for MyTime Dining guests was at the opposite end of the ship. However, we were directly below the rear of the Lido deck, leading to the pizza or into the buffet. We were directly above the Karaoke and Comedy lounges with a short, relatively crowdless walk to the casino.

In the past, a taxi from the pier to downtown was a set price (around $6) per RIDE, not per person. This time, they asked $7 per person. That's only one-way. We stayed in the shops at the end of the pier then returned to the ship. Wish Carnival would find another port to replace Cozumel...like Key West or Costa Maya.

Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

The beaches in Grand Cayman are breath-taking. However, upon arrival, we were offered a $10 bus tour and, considering the heat, we opted for the air conditioned tour instead. The stops were short in duration but we saw a lot for the money. When finished, we still had some time for shopping. Got back to the ship well before the crowds.

While Montego Bay has been one of my favorite ports, it was a bit of a disappointment this time. The weather was extremely hot. The taxi drivers hounded us all the way up the street, asking to take us back to the ship as soon as we got off the bus! The sidewalks are narrow and broken, making it difficult to walk up the street. Even Margaritaville was a disappointment with only about 10 people in the entire place.